4K Joey

We dont even receive 1080p as of yet im paying top dollar and only receive 1080i and you guys are contemplating 4k im i missing something? ??
Nobody, and I mean nobody, is transmitting in 1080P, it's 1080I or 720P. Dish has select PPV movies available in 1080P.

The value to broadcast in 1080P is not there, where the value in 4K may be worth it to do the transition.

We dont even receive 1080p as of yet im paying top dollar and only receive 1080i and you guys are contemplating 4k im i missing something? ??

Yeah, 4k is here from several sources, and it will be nice when we can get some from Dish. 4k TV upscaling also improves the 1080i from Dish, so forget wasting time hoping for 1080p satellite broadcasts.

Yeah, 4k is here from several sources, and it will be nice when we can get some from Dish. 4k TV upscaling also improves the 1080i from Dish, so forget wasting time hoping for 1080p satellite broadcasts.

What's on this weekend that's in 4k and available from any provider here in the good ol' USofA?

New season of House of Cards, Marco Polo, Orange is the New Black, movies, etc. - That's just Netflix. (all series on Netflix are now being produced in 4k.

New season of House of Cards, Marco Polo, Orange is the New Black, movies, etc. - That's just Netflix. (all series on Netflix are now being produced in 4k.

That's kinda cheating :) , as that's basically a function of data bandwidth capability via an ISP. Also, the distribution capability for such high bandwidth video is limited in the real world.

I was more pointing to any of the traditional video distribution conduits like cable or satellite. I know one FTA channel is in a test mode and could be viewed if you had the equipment.

If we are going to include the Broadband delivered 4K, then DirectV has 4K on their system delivered via BB, and Dish will have 4K capability soon, most likely delivered through BB as well. I think we can safely ask "which traditional delivery company is offering 4K, without using an Internet stream currently?"

If we are going to include the Broadband delivered 4K, then DirectV has 4K on their system delivered via BB, and Dish will have 4K capability soon, most likely delivered through BB as well. I think we can safely ask "which traditional delivery company is offering 4K, without using an Internet stream currently?"
Actually both DIRECTV and DISH will be offering 4K off the satellite later in the year. Stay Tuned. :D

I'm waiting to see it happen. I know they are talking about doing it, and even implementing hardware to get it done... But how about that Harmony Remote dish was going to release to everyone in the past. I'm all about the innovation, and welcome the idea of it, but we all know not to absolutely beleive it till it happens Scott. It is the future, as much as I personally couldn't care less, but may be a very good thing for people.

That all said, out of curiosity, what would you say the value of a 4K TV would be? Not what they are charging, but what is a good price point on one that is reasonable for a consumer today? Let's say the size set of 55"

http://bgr.com/2013/09/26/netflix-4k-streaming/

"...the average American connection sits around 7.4 Mbps, less than half of the required bandwidth needed to stream 4K video. It is true that 4K adoption is relatively slow, so expectations for higher quality streams will rise only gradually in the coming months. Even so, Internet connection speeds will need to climb at a greater pace if Americans wants to access their favorite on Netflix movies in 4K."

This was from Sep 2013. I don't think the Internet infrastructure has changed much in the past 1-1/2 years.

I feel OTT providers like E*, D* and cable need to really step up to provide significant 4k penetration nationwide. Internet is not going to cut if for along time.

Averages are averages. My DSL has gone from5mbps to 10mbps to 25mbps in the last 18 months without an increase in cost, enough for smooth 4k streaming. Cable internet has even faster speeds. The most common limitation to a lot of 4k are the ISP data limits.

The point is that there is enough content to enjoy a 4k TV, and the upscaling makes watching Dish noticeably better - not a small thing to consider. Content from satellite and cable will be coming along in the not too distant future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)