4k Linear channels coming to Dish anytime soon?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
hello my friends when will dish add of the SES 4k Channels or ESPN 4K to their lineup?just wondering :)

For Chris Calcinari, SVP, Remote Operations for ESPN and ABC Sports the decision to build the space with 4K in mind was purely a strategic one.

“If you are going to build a new facility today, why would you build it any other way,” Calcinari says, noting the network’s early efforts to ramp up its 4K initiatives (last year, ESPN produced a weekly college football game and a weekly college basketball game in UHD). “
We are going to operate the facility in 1080p, but we wanted to have the technical capabilities to upgrade.”

Inside ESPN’s New 4K-Capable Video Content Factory on the Las Vegas Strip

For Chris Calcinari, SVP, Remote Operations for ESPN and ABC Sports the decision to build the space with 4K in mind was purely a strategic one.

“If you are going to build a new facility today, why would you build it any other way,” Calcinari says, noting the network’s early efforts to ramp up its 4K initiatives (last year, ESPN produced a weekly college football game and a weekly college basketball game in UHD). “
We are going to operate the facility in 1080p, but we wanted to have the technical capabilities to upgrade.”

Inside ESPN’s New 4K-Capable Video Content Factory on the Las Vegas Strip

I thought Digital Center 2 had full 4K capability.

I'll be happy when they convert the SD channels over to HD. How many years have we had HD and yet we still only have SD quality. In some cases it is the provider not Dish that is the hold up.

ESPN has been using 4k cameras for years and years now
There are other advantages to shooting on 4k than transmission.

AND, you'd need to upgrade all the truck's routers, recorders, switchers, DAs, etc. And until there's a transmission (and reception) solution, it might be a little bit still.

ESPN 4K to my knowledge doesn't exist.
Yes it does. This is from DTV757s chart over on AVS:

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 1.10.10 PM.png

That is a special events channel, just like the way Dish does the Fox events that they carry in 4K. That is not a full-time linear ESPN 4K channel, which was the original question.
None the less what I answered was that ESPN does have 4K when Don in CT said it doesn’t exist. We sometimes see 4K sports from Fox, not FS1 or FS2, on our channel 540. There is no difference here. To answer half of Allen’s question we don’t have any ESPN 4K events because DISH doesn’t have a contract with Disney, ESPN’s owner to do so.

Reactions: KE4EST
None the less what I answered was that ESPN does have 4K when Don in CT said it doesn’t exist. We sometimes see 4K sports from Fox, not FS1 or FS2, on our channel 540. There is no difference here. To answer half of Allen’s question we don’t have any ESPN 4K events because DISH doesn’t have a contract with Disney, ESPN’s owner to do so.
Lack of a contract would also answer the other half of Allen's question, unless you are aware of a contract between Dish and SES that the rest of us don't know about... ;)

Lack of a contract would also answer the other half of Allen's question, unless you are aware of a contract between Dish and SES that the rest of us don't know about... ;)
I don’t even know who SES is so I purposely excluded it from my comments. I have found in my lengthy life that assumption is not in anyones interest. ;)

Reactions: Foxbat
There are other advantages to shooting on 4k than transmission.

AND, you'd need to upgrade all the truck's routers, recorders, switchers, DAs, etc. And until there's a transmission (and reception) solution, it might be a little bit still.
And the NFL has been using 4k video for replays for years and years now...so they must have 4k trucks

I can't get that excited over 4K on Dish after seeing the channel 540, It's so compressed that its not even as good as vanilla HD My tv is an LG not even a YEAR OLD, so I feel its the quality of the 4k or lack of on 540

I can't get that excited over 4K on Dish after seeing the channel 540, It's so compressed that its not even as good as vanilla HD My tv is an LG not even a YEAR OLD, so I feel its the quality of the 4k or lack of on 540
I agree and disagree. It is better than HD, but not close to the 4K streaming that I get on the other apps (Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, etc.). I also have a couple of LG OLED sets (one 65" that is a 2020 model and a 77" 2018 model).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts