4K Resolution

I've seen variations of this article a few times. Mostly just click-bait IMO.

While I don't disagree that you can't see the full benefit of 4K at normal viewing distance, you darned well do see a big improvement in PQ. That's probably because the 4K sets tend to better electronics than many 1080 TVs have.

I bought into the 4K hype and got a 70" 4K Sharp TV. Absolutely superb picture though seeing the difference between true 4K sources and upscaled 720/1080 sources isn't much from across the room. Note my set is not HDR compatible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: charlesrshell
I think that Carleton Bale's graph is very misleading!
First of all, it is based on typical 20/20 vision. But at least 15% of people have 20/10 vision or better.
And it leads to a wrong conclusion, that "we sit too far from the screen to see a difference between 4K and HD, hence 4K is not needed".
I think it should be the other way around: "We can't sit too close to the screen because HD looks so bad from a short distance! Hence we do need 4K!" :)

Of the small percentage of people who have better than 20/20 vision, most by far are young to very young. But you miss the far greater side of it - a large percentage have less than 20/20 and they are older and the ones watching more TV.
Also the issue is not that HD looks bad being too close, there are many to most that sit too far even to see 1080 over 720 and even some better than 480 let alone 4K. People are not sitting too far because HD looks bad it is how their rooms are set up, or because they are not used to sitting close. I don't think I have seen anywhere any debate that the table of sitting distances isn't overall quite accurate. There are exceptions to everything but they are just that, exceptions not the rule.

lParsons21 is right. While many are not seeing the resolution benefits of 4K they are getting an overall better picture, often better colors, contrast and the newest technology. The resolution isn't the big thing with 4K, it is the HDR technology. When I watch something with that then the picture is truly a leap better. 4K can look much better sitting where you can see it but so far that seems to happen mostly with clips that show off 4k more than actual 4K shows.

Here's a line of thought...
My family's 480 crt was 24 inch and we sat on sofa across the room.
We got a newfangled 24 inch hd and there was no perceived difference in the same setting.

We also had a 56inch 480 rear projector.
When we got a newgangle hd 56inch, the difference was overwhelming.

I don't see many people putting new 24inch hd tv's in their main veiwing spaces these days, they are hardly even available.

Expecting higher resolution to lead to even larger sizes.
Imagine the entire wall is a video screen, even if you are only streaming to a 'window' of 40-60 inches. Other areas of the wall show different 'windows' with different content, family pics, wallpaper pattern, etc.

Cellphone screen resolution measures applied to large screens...
PixelsPerInch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts