4k TV and ViP622

retexan599

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Sugar Land, TX
I plan to buy a new 4K TV, example: Samsung UN55JU6500. My DISH receiver is a 9 year old ViP622. The HDMI on the ViP622 has not worked since 2006 and I have used component cables ever since to my old plasma TV. Looking for advice such as:
  • Would I be wise to replace the ViP622 'just because' a newer model receiver would be better with the modern 4K TV?
  • Am I leaving something on the table with the new 4K TV by continuing with the old ViP622?
  • For example, do I leave something on the table by continuing to use component cables with the new set?
  • How do I explain what I want to do in a phone call with a DISH representative?
  • Any other thoughts you may have on the subject.
Thanks.
John Hanley

Nothing Dish has is in 4K right now anyway, Dish doesn't even have any receiver yet, to display 4K.

But even when they do you will Need a Hopper system.
NOT VIP series.

Wait for the Dish Press conference tonight 6pm eastern, Maybe they will have something you are interested in.

It will be in the CES thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

How do I explain what I want to do in a phone call with a DISH representative?
Call Dish or contact DIRT (look in the Hopper forum for the sticky post about 'Hopper upgrades'). You can probably get a new Hopper w/Sling right now for free. Well, you will need to agree to another 2-year contract.

Your 4K TV will up-convert everything that you feed it to 4K resolution. It's not "real" 4K, of course, but there's nothing on Dish today that's 4K either. It may be another year or longer before any substantial number of channels or programming in 4K is available. Dish did announce a 4K Joey (which requires a Hopper as well) a year ago and it's still not available to customers. They are supposed to be announcing a 4K Hopper today but who knows when people will be able to get their hands on it....

Reactions: AZ. and TheKrell
Wait til 6 EST and lets see if we can put our faith in Scott. He said to wait for upgrades until any and all announcements.

Reactions: Troch77
I plan to buy a new 4K TV, example: Samsung UN55JU6500. My DISH receiver is a 9 year old ViP622. The HDMI on the ViP622 has not worked since 2006 and I have used component cables ever since to my old plasma TV. Looking for advice such as:
  • Would I be wise to replace the ViP622 'just because' a newer model receiver would be better with the modern 4K TV?
  • Am I leaving something on the table with the new 4K TV by continuing with the old ViP622?
  • For example, do I leave something on the table by continuing to use component cables with the new set?
  • How do I explain what I want to do in a phone call with a DISH representative?
Thanks.
John Hanley
John
I have a UN55 JU 6500 it was a replacement for my Samsung 8500 plasma and have a dish 612 and 722. You can get 4K with the JU5500 from Netflix and Youtube . If I could I would go back to my 50in plasma see how this 4K works out,

John
I have a UN55 JU 6500 it was a replacement for my Samsung 8500 plasma and have a dish 612 and 722. You can get 4K with the JU5500 from Netflix and Youtube . If I could I would go back to my 50in plasma see how this 4K works out,

When you connect your UN55JU6500 to your 612 and 722, are you using the HDMI connections (as opposed to component)? The HDMI out of my ViP622 has never worked.
Thanks.

Thanks.
John Hanley
Yes, you will want to get a box with at least HDMI. With the 622, you have a crappy CODEC, which will convert it to analog to spit out your component output. Then your TV has to convert it back to digital, then upconvert to 4k. Get a box with HDMI, and let the TV do the rest.

Yes, you will want to get a box with at least HDMI. With the 622, you have a crappy CODEC, which will convert it to analog to spit out your component output. Then your TV has to convert it back to digital, then upconvert to 4k. Get a box with HDMI, and let the TV do the rest.
Thanks. DISH is sending me a replacement ViP622 receiver which (they say) will have a working HDMI out connection. When I looked into this problem in 2006-2007, it seemed that people had their ViP622 replaced by DISH and the HDMI failed on the replacement, etc. So the consensus at that time seemed to be just hook up by component and live with it. So, I am hoping this 2016 replacement ViP622 will having a working HDMI. If not, I will take next steps from there. I have the DISH protection plan so this replacement is not costing me anything.

Reactions: Tampa8
Early 622s had a mis-positioned HDMI connector on the circuit board and the solder joints failed. I had one too.

Thanks. DISH is sending me a replacement ViP622 receiver which (they say) will have a working HDMI out connection. When I looked into this problem in 2006-2007, it seemed that people had their ViP622 replaced by DISH and the HDMI failed on the replacement, etc. So the consensus at that time seemed to be just hook up by component and live with it. So, I am hoping this 2016 replacement ViP622 will having a working HDMI. If not, I will take next steps from there. I have the DISH protection plan so this replacement is not costing me anything.
Not really such thing as a 2016 622. They stopped the production of them quite a few years ago. Now they are all stocked and refurbed units.

Not really such thing as a 2016 622. They stopped the production of them quite a few years ago. Now they are all stocked and refurbed units.
722 came out about 2007ish so production on the 622 had to end sometime around then I would imagine.

Thanks to DISH representative JessicaR, a replacement ViP622 was sent to me. It is now in service, and the HDMI out connection to my TV now works just fine. I think the picture quality on my 9 year old plasma is better with HDMI than with the component cables (have compared from same receiver). And better than the original receiver which was connected by component cables. The replacement receiver appears to be a revision M, which is no doubt several generations better than the revision D which it replaced. So now I will go looking for a new TV.
:)

On the tv

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Interestingly, this 2006 model Philips plasma does not have independent settings for various video inputs. It is the same setting used whether component or HDMI. So I am using the same picture settings on HDMI that I used for component for many years. I may play around with the settings now that I am on HDMI, but not spend a lot of time with it, since I am going to buy a new TV which will have its own arrangements for picture settings, etc. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts