4KTV.

Real world: Perceptive differences between 4K & HD are minimal if not nonexistent for the average consumer. Ten years from now? Maybe. Five years? Not a chance. In fact, I suspect 4KTV will not make the market, outside of advanced Blu-Ray discs. Gilding the lily.

Real world: Perceptive differences between 4K & HD are minimal if not nonexistent for the average consumer. Ten years from now? Maybe. Five years? Not a chance. In fact, I suspect 4KTV will not make the market, outside of advanced Blu-Ray discs. Gilding the lily.

I agree with this statement and that is even saying a lot considering how many people I encounter that think physical media is dead and that streaming is the way to go. Also there are still people who have standard definition cable service. My mother still uses her old floor model/console TV set and a SD receiver for her cable.

Mike,

They will come down in price, the first plasma I saw was 480p, 42" and 14,000.

I've seen 4k and it's awesome, but I don't know how long it will take for any meaningful content to be available.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

The difference is that there was a huge difference in picture quality from SD 480i to HD 1080i. That and lower pricing helped spur the acceptance of hd. There won't be as big a difference in 4k from 1080p unless you have a bigger tv ,like 70 inches or bigger. Another difference besides the digital transition spurring the acceptance of hd ,along with the end of manufacturing of Sd tvs, was this was all before the Great Recession of 08. People aren't spending like they were before the 08 recession. Cheap credit cards aren't as available as before 08. So pricing will be one the biggest factors that helps push anyone to accept 4k. Another way to push acceptance would be to stop manufacturing traditional 1080i/1080p hdtvs and only produce 4k. This was how I got a 3-D tv last year. When I went to buy a new hd tv , the 3-d tvs were both plentiful and cheaper than the regular hdtvs. So I bought the 3-D tv . If there were no more tvs except 4k tvs, then people would buy them, because that would be all there was. But either way I still say PRICE will be the biggest factor to whether anyone will buy one. Not to mention there has to be content created in 4k also or the tvs will have to upconvert all content to 4k.

Last edited:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/09/1080p-charted-viewing-distance-to-screen-size/

A lot of the problem is that you need a big screen and to be close to really see the pixels. I would say the vast majority of living rooms do not have a large enough TV to be able to see the 4k advantage. If you are 10 feet away from the TV you need to have a 75" TV to start to see more than 1080p.

That was one of my points in why people won't upgrade. If you don't see any difference in pq on tvs unless they are larger than 70", why bother upgrading?

At 75" you would need to be 5' or closer to see the improvement over 1080P. 120" at 7' or closer.... As posted elsewhere by people, even 1080P can't be seen as better than 720P at distances and TV sizes many people have, certainly not 4K.

I can tell the diff between 1080p and 720p on a 20" LCD Panel at 8 foot away, but then again I have good eyesight. The pixel density of a 1080p is about twice that of 720p.

Besides 4k, then even are coming out with 8k.