4KTV.

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
With Ultra HD on the rise, what will be needed? I assume all new receivers, but what about a dish? Will they use some kind of 6 lnb setup?

With Ultra HD on the rise, what will be needed? I assume all new receivers, but what about a dish? Will they use some kind of 6 lnb setup?

The ink on the UltraHD specification is still wet on the paper.

Since the resolution is 4x that of HDTV it'll require a lot more bandwidth -- I don't know that they have enough sats in the air to do anything in 4K.

Yes, new receivers but there's so much that has to come before that that it's too early to call your post premature.

Well, after E* and D* have combined distribution infrastructure, some new receivers is all that's needed, along with the TV. Is HDMI 1.3 enough?

D* has slated 2016 to begin offering 4ktv, so it may be a bit late to think the dreaming is premature! :)

To my knowledge, there is no commercially available 4K material, nor is there a firm guesstimate when there will be.

Right now, wanting 4K TV is a lot like wanting a flying car.

I think some hollywood film is shot in 4K.

Anyway, I assume they would have room for 4K if they got rid of alot of crap channels, like the barker channels ,shopping channels ,etc.

Also if a better video compression came to light they may be able to use all the same sats.

If they got rid of the shopping channels and all that stuff, your bill would be double, or at the least go up a bunch.

Coimmaster,

Navychop is right, there is no commercially available 4k content.

Yes some films are being shot @ 4k, but theres no infrastructure for any of this to our homes.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Well, after E* and D* have combined distribution infrastructure, some new receivers is all that's needed, along with the TV. Is HDMI 1.3 enough?

24 frame is just under 5Gbits/sec and 30 frame is over 6gbits/ second.

24 frame is just barely under the limit.

There are provisions for a six pair cable which doubles the bandwidth, but no one has implemented it.

I would be concerned about noise at that bandwidth with copper cables beyond 3m.

D* has slated 2016 to begin offering 4ktv, so it may be a bit late to think the dreaming is premature! :)

That's 3+ years out, schedules will slip. They always do when you are talking about a timeline this far out with nonexistent technology.

I would just be happy if providers actually had the infrastructure to make 1080i/720p "pop" the way it's supposed to and not the compressed mess that most providers have. Blu-Ray blows pretty much all the providers out of the water and even OTA can't do it, though it is closer.

1080p/60 would be nice as well, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Don't see it happening as a standard. Look at 3-D . DISH has never embraced it and I still don't see 3-D programs on my system in pay per views. I don't see DISH doing 4k unless it becomes the new standard that both satellite (Directv ) and cable both embrace. Besides people are not spending on expensive tvs. They want CHEAP priced tvs and 4k would cost thousands compared to 1080p tvs on the market now. Unless the middle class makes a huge comeback and wages rise exponentially , I just don't see many in the country spending on expensive tvs with little programming in 4k. The hd transition was helped because all tv was going digital and most people bought new hd tvs instead of just getting the cable converter boxes for hd to analaog. I don't see another transition like this in our future in the next few years.

I think it's time to enjoy where we are. Look at what people are still asking for in HD and not getting due to bandwidth. In my opinion, if you want life like viewing capability, go outside and live. I love HD, but really don't need to see 3D or have a life like video game, or have an 80 inch screen.

Mike,

They will come down in price, the first plasma I saw was 480p, 42" and 14,000.

I've seen 4k and it's awesome, but I don't know how long it will take for any meaningful content to be available.

Technically 35MM has more than 4k resolution. It depends on grain and lighting conditions, but it can be very high. 4k should not be a big problem for things shot on 35MM.

I remember going to a conference and seeing a presentation by Silicon Graphics. They would scan 35MM at 6k x 4k in 48 bits. 4k is 3840 × 2160 about a quarter of the resolution they were using.

There is a standard for 4K, UltraHD. Infrastructure is another matter entirely.

BTW, the Red family of cameras are capable of shooting @ 4K and they are very very good. In fact, most (if not all) of the new Hobbit features are shot on Red as are a lot of other films including Contagion, The Social Network and quite a few more.

add on edit
Don't know why, but I keep forgetting Prometheus was shot on Red cameras as well. :)

Last edited: