$5.95 a mo. warranty program... something we should have?

david4455

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
I spoke to a CSR yesterday ( having a tech issue with my failing 508) ...she recommended that I think about adding the warranty program on my account. I guess you pay $5.95 a month and it covers most equipment with replacements in case of failure as well as the first $70 of a "house call" for tech assitance.... is this something that is a good deal or just added $$$ to the DN coffers?

If you have a PVR/DVR.... YES!!!!! Cheap insurance when you consider the burp rate of these things......

If you only have a few 311s or something similar, I'd fly without it.....

If you have an expensive DVR or HD receiver then I would get the warranty. Otherwise it aint worth it as you could replace anything for what the warranty costs in a year's time (6x12=72). The 501/508/510 receivers are so cheap anymore that it aint even worth getting the warranty for those. The other DVR's are still pretty expensive.

I've seen people say many times that if they have a problem, they just call and add the insurance, then make a claim the next day. I'm not saying this is the right thing to do, but I wanted you to have all the information.

On the other hand, I've heard people say that there is a 30 day window you have to wait for it to become active.

I still say that ANYONE who owns a receiver with a hard drive should have one in place to guard against future problems. THEY pay freight both ways and replace the equipment when problems develop. I had 2 Dishplayers go all flaky with the yellow card swap and they gave me 508s in exchange with no fuss. Ditto to an 18 month old 921 hard drive failure and a 721 hard drive failure (which I've since given to my father).

Cheap insurance.

I did not have the warranty plan. My 508 died well outside of warranty. When I called dish they offered to exchange it for under $20. I saw no reason to carry the warranty.
Recently buttons on both my 508 and 721 remotes stopped working. I was pricing getting replacement from eBay or DishStore. I decided to call Dish and the CSR offered the prices for each replacement was $29. Then she said, "Add the warranty plan today and I can send out 1 free replacement remote...You will receive that in 2 days. On the day you receive that call back and we'll send a free replacement for the other. Once you receive that I advise you call back and cancel the warranty. This way you'll get both replacements for under $6." Within 5 days I had received both replacement remotes from dish, but I have not cancelled the warranty plan yet as I felt I should keep it at least a month.
I called dish with every intention of buying replacements, but their CSR told me to do it the other way...

I had a very similar experience to tbennings on a 721 that died (see other thread). The CSR suggested adding the warranty, and sent the 721 No Charge.

I might have to ask about a 721 remote before I cancel the plan :)

(mine is getting flakey :) )

LER

tbenning said:
I did not have the warranty plan. My 508 died well outside of warranty. When I called dish they offered to exchange it for under $20. I saw no reason to carry the warranty.
Recently buttons on both my 508 and 721 remotes stopped working. I was pricing getting replacement from eBay or DishStore. I decided to call Dish and the CSR offered the prices for each replacement was $29. Then she said, "Add the warranty plan today and I can send out 1 free replacement remote...You will receive that in 2 days. On the day you receive that call back and we'll send a free replacement for the other. Once you receive that I advise you call back and cancel the warranty. This way you'll get both replacements for under $6." Within 5 days I had received both replacement remotes from dish, but I have not cancelled the warranty plan yet as I felt I should keep it at least a month.
I called dish with every intention of buying replacements, but their CSR told me to do it the other way...
Nice story - especially the 508 deal, and I wish it happened more often.

Quite moral of you to keep the DHPP for at least a month - most people cancel it as soon as they get their stuff.

I'm happy that I'm still grandfathered in on the $2/month warranty deal. :)

Even though I will NEVER need an installer to come out here (that's like having a contractor hire someone else to build his house ;) ), the hardware ain't cheap.

Maybe they hope that you forget to call in and cancel the warranty or hope that you will keep it. It could also be their way of getting something rather than nothing, perhaps to at least cover part of the shipping costs. By doing this they keep the subscriber instead of losing the subscriber to churn and probably average making a profit since a lot of people keep the warranty.

I am actually surprised that Dish Network has not done something about people getting the warranty then cancelling it unless they wanted to do as I stated above.

Stargazer said:
I am actually surprised that Dish Network has not done something about people getting the warranty then cancelling it unless they wanted to do as I stated above.
When their own CSR's suggest it, they'd be hard pressed to stop it.

I was prepared for a $200 or more charge for the 721 refered to above.

LER

I am not sure of the economics behind the decision, but Dish Network is not alone in having CSR's suggest a warranty plan to cover already broken equipment. Last year I had a High-end HP scanner break. I called their Support department and they made a similar suggestion. They offered $150 for a 1 time exchange. Then the HP CSR said I am also authorized to offer a 1 year "warranty" for $49 which would both cover the exchange costs and cover that exchange for 1 year.

Dish did offer a similar out-of-warranty exchange when my dads 501 died. They exchanged it for about $20 "shipping" even though he'd never purchased a warranty. I assume they'd have let him purchase the warranty for a "free" exchange, but he felt the $20 offer was more than fair enough...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts