5 LNB Dish Installation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ddhawk

Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
Abington, MA
Hi,

I'm getting the 5 LNB dish installed today to replace my 3 LNB dish so I can get HD Locals (Boston). This is my first foray into the HD world!

I was wondering how many coax lines need to be run from the dish into the house. I have a DirecTivo (need two lines), and a regular receiver (1 line), and the new HD receiver I'll be getting (1 more line). Although I may drop the regular receiver for the new HD receiver. I plan on getting the HD DVR when it becomes available (I'm on the list), so that will be 2 more lines.

Right now I have two lines coming in connected to a 2x4 multiswitch.

Can I get by with just two lines coming in if they're connected to a multiswitch in the house? I know there is a multiswitch on the dish, but I don't know what that really means for me.

I bought a 6x8 multiswitch that is for the 5 LNB dish, don't know if I'll need it or not. And if I can use that, do I need to have 5 lines coming in to attach to it?

Thanks for any input, I just want to know what to expect once the installer arrives.

Thanks.

Dennis

DDHawk, sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but do you have your dish on your house or on a pole? Mine is on a pole, and I am wondering if when they come out to install a new one whether they will be able to use the same pole. I know the pole size is bigger for the new dish, but you would think an adapter piece should be a standard thing that installers would have.

DDHawk, sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but do you have your dish on your house or on a pole? Mine is on a pole, and I am wondering if when they come out to install a new one whether they will be able to use the same pole. I know the pole size is bigger for the new dish, but you would think an adapter piece should be a standard thing that installers would have.

Mine is on the house, so I don't know.

Hi,

I'm getting the 5 LNB dish installed today to replace my 3 LNB dish so I can get HD Locals (Boston). This is my first foray into the HD world!

I was wondering how many coax lines need to be run from the dish into the house. I have a DirecTivo (need two lines), and a regular receiver (1 line), and the new HD receiver I'll be getting (1 more line). Although I may drop the regular receiver for the new HD receiver. I plan on getting the HD DVR when it becomes available (I'm on the list), so that will be 2 more lines.

Right now I have two lines coming in connected to a 2x4 multiswitch.

Can I get by with just two lines coming in if they're connected to a multiswitch in the house? I know there is a multiswitch on the dish, but I don't know what that really means for me.

I bought a 6x8 multiswitch that is for the 5 LNB dish, don't know if I'll need it or not. And if I can use that, do I need to have 5 lines coming in to attach to it?

Thanks for any input, I just want to know what to expect once the installer arrives.

Thanks.

Dennis
If all you want is the 101 satellite you can get by with just 2 lines run in from the dish. If you want all 5 satellites you need 4 lines coming in off the dish.

No if the installer use an adapter he can and should be fired. The 18"/Multisat poles don't have the stablitiy to hold the new HD dish.

They have to use a larger dia pole and longer by about two feet. The pole needs 3 1/2 feet or better in the ground (frost level or deeper) and a concrete footing of 100+lbs of concrete (2 bags) and the installer has to fill the pole to the top with concrete to support the wind load of the dish.

If all you want is the 101 satellite you can get by with just 2 lines run in from the dish. If you want all 5 satellites you need 4 lines coming in off the dish.

If all you want is 101 satellite you dont need all the headache with a 5 lnb dish. Duh. Use the old dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)