5 Orbital Locations - Dish Pro LNBF

SmityWhity

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
Denver, CO
1. The following link has a chart showing it is possible to have 5 orbital locations using various Dish Pro LNBF and/or SuperDish LNBF, and using DP21 and DPP44 switches.
http://ekb.dbstalk.com/swconfig.htm

2. The following link has a lot of information on adding 61.5; but also discusses combining switches and various limitations, which is partially quoted below.
http://ekb.dbstalk.com/Adding 61-5 dish.htm
You CANNOT run a DP21 into a DP34, DP+44, or DP+Twin. It does NOT work that way. It only works BETWEEN these switches and the receiver (unsure about the DP+Twin, but don't see why it won't work). Also, using a DP21 with a DP+ switch removes the ability to use the DP+ Separator, so PLEASE keep this in mind.

The DP21 cannot be used with the DP+ separators as used on dual tuner receivers as it is NOT DP+. IF you use a DP21 with a DP+44, you MUST use 2 DP21s and 2 lines to the receiver.

If you have a DP Twin or Quad - You will need an 18" dish and a DP Single or DP Dual LNB to get 61.5° as well as a DP21 (or 2 for 2 receivers). Connect the line from the DP Twin or Quad to the DP21 and connect the other DP LNB to the DP21. DO A CHECK SWITCH.

If you have a DP34 - You can connect the DP34 and another DP LNB with a DP21. OR you can replace the DP34 with a DP+44 and add the new dish and DP LNB to the DP+44. DO A CHECK SWITCH.

If you have a DP+44 and do not get 61.5° - You can connect the DP+44 and the other DP LNB with a DP21. DO NOT USE PORT 1 due to the power inserter. It will DESTROY the DP21! DO A CHECK SWITCH.
3. The above states when using the DPP44 and DP21(s), do not use Port 1 on the DPP44 because the Power Inserter will damage the DP21.

4. On Page 2 of "Quick Facts/Installation Considerations: DP Plus 44 Switch", rev 8/23/04, it says "As with any switch, do not connect both 61.5 and 148."
http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwo...allation_Considerations-DP_Plus_44_Switch.pdf

.....COMMENTS.....

1. In regards to 3, using the DPP44 Port 1. Can Port 1 be used if the Power Inserter is installed between "DPP44 Port 1" and the "DP21" such as when the switches and Power Inserter are all mounted in an inside environment? This way, I would think that the power would be going directly to the DPP44 Port 1, and only passing signals to the DP21, and therefore not damaging it.

2. In regards to 4, not using both 61.5 and 148. Since there are a lot of channels on 148 that are on 61.5, I could see where it would be a waste of time, but would having both 61.5 and 148 cause a problem - maybe only with duplicate channels? What about those who get locals on 148, but need 61.5 for HD?

EDIT: BobaBird - Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
SmityWhity said:
1. In regards to 3, using the DPP44 Port 1. Can Port 1 be used if the Power Inserter is installed between "DPP44 Port 1" and the "DP21" such as when the switches and Power Inserter are all mounted in an inside environment? This way, I would think that the power would be going directly to the DPP44 Port 1, and only passing signals to the DP21, and therefore not damaging it.
Makes sense to me but it's beyond my experience. Installers?
2. In regards to 4, not using both 61.5 and 148. Since there are a lot of channels on 148 that are on 61.5, I could see where it would be a waste of time, but would having both 61.5 and 148 cause a problem - maybe only with duplicate channels? What about those who get locals on 148, but need 61.5 for HD?
Not connecting 61.5 and 148 at the same time used to be Dish's official position, but even then it could be done. The behavior was a little quirky with the duplicated channels but nothing blew up. The 811's P289 update in 7/05 added this fix:
"With both 148° & 61.5° connected channels are now are in the guide only once and you can now browse/surf through them"​

Oooooh boy...I can only speculate with regards to #3. To me at least, it makes sense that you CAN use a DP21 on port 1 as you described...placing the DP21 between the power inserter and the receiver.

My question is...why? You have 3 other ports. Is it that big of a deal??

Yes, I can be a tad reckless and experimentive...but I'm not so sure if even I'm (!!) willing to risk burning out a DPP44 switch. LOL

yes that will work fine, as long as there's nothing but cable between the inserter and the DPP44.

The link on 4 above (left side of page 2), also has a little info on not putting anything, such as diplexers, between Port 1 and the Power Inserter.

I really wouldn't want to risk it either, at least not without first finding out if someone else has the answer.

But why.... With this set up, you are not able to use the DP Separator, so you would need two cable runs for a dual tuner receiver, or all 4 ports for 2 dual tuner receivers. But mostly, I'm just expanding my knowledge base.

I guess if they came out with a "DPP21" to replace the "DP21", you could use the "DP Separator." But that would probably be a waste if they are coming out with a "DPP64".

Thanks all for the comments.

I have a couple of apt complexes where I put the PI in line feeding a dual receiver, using a diplexer. I believe the most important thing is getting a good diplexer that can handle the power draw. These both were put in about 2 weeks ago and no problems.......yet???

I agree! As long as you use a quality diplexer with a 2 Amp rating you should be fine. Granted, those little babies can be expensive...even when buying them in bulk. I usually will shell out close to $2.00 apiece!!

I used 148 and 61.5 on the same system for 2 years and never had a problem.

There seems to be more of an issue with 61.5W and 129W on the same system with channel duplication - but even that does not appear to be a system killer.

Thanks for all the help folks. Is there anythink note-worthy on the 105 deg sat? i was just planning to do 61.5, 110, 119, 121, 129 but im sort od curious about 105. I have an old 105 Superdish, should I give that a try?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts