5 room install? They said I can't

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

CRUZN8R

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
Long Beach, WA
I want a 5 room install as a new dish customer. I would like 2 HDTV units and 3 DVR's.

I looked at the current promos for dish and found one that looked good, but the supervisor said they won't do a 5 room install under the terms of the promotion?
They would give me 2 HDTV units, a 522 DVR feeding 2 rooms and thats all. I told them their web site states up to 6 rooms can be configured, rooms beond 4 have $99 unit fee and $59 install fee. I asked how much for another DVR and she said "you can't add one more because the dish switch included in the promotion only does 4".

I guess I can't get dish then?

Does this sound correct?

I did a 6 room install last month.
Had to buy two 322 receivers. E* was only willing to provide one 811, one 522 and one 311. I basically had them keep the 311 and I bought the two 322's. Also paid $50 for one additional room install. That was the only part that bothered me as the local dealer would not let me "install" it myself. I suppose I could have had 7 rooms, but have the tuner one of the 522 and 811 going to the same tv.

Terry

Absolutely correct for a change. Under DHA which it sounds like you were talking the promotion is limited to 4TUNERS. You can connect as many TVs as you want but any beyond the promotion you must pay for. DISH also has a limit of 6 receivers on one account if you want more than 6 you have to set up an additional account. DirecTV is similar if the promotion is 3 X FREE DirecTV will only pay for three receivers and their installation but you can pay for as many additional as you want to connect.

AppliedAggression said:
"They would give me 2 HDTV units, a 522 DVR feeding 2 rooms and one more DVR and thats all"

That's enough for what you want. I don't understand what else you want.

Sorry, that should have been typed "They would give me 2 HDTV units, a 522 DVR feeding 2 rooms and thats all".

They said I could not have 5 rooms, only 4.

I guess I am not going to get dish, I tried to buy it and they would not sell me what I needed. I was not even trying to get the 5th room free, I was willing to pay for that one. I guess I can't get 5 rooms on the Digital Home Advantage promotion, even if willing to pay for the extra addon (5th room) :no

beast37799 said:
if u were gonna get a dp34 switch i would just suggest adding another dp34 switch and buying a 301

Thanks for the help, is that something I can buy and install myself?

I don't understand why they can't sell me and install what I need.

boba said:
Absolutely correct for a change. Under DHA which it sounds like you were talking the promotion is limited to 4TUNERS. You can connect as many TVs as you want but any beyond the promotion you must pay for. DISH also has a limit of 6 receivers on one account if you want more than 6 you have to set up an additional account. DirecTV is similar if the promotion is 3 X FREE DirecTV will only pay for three receivers and their installation but you can pay for as many additional as you want to connect.

Actually expertsatellite will give you a 5 room install for free.

platinum said:
Actually expertsatellite will give you a 5 room install for free.

expertsatellite sells DirectTv, I can't buy from them because I live in a NRTC exclusive area.

I called my local DirectTv provider and asked about a multi-room install with HDTV and DVR's, they said "What's a DVR"?... After I explained what a DVR was ... They also said "you have to buy the HDTV units for $399 each, and you have to buy your own DVR's"

NRTC is a bad thing... need I say more.

I wanted DirectTv because I hear they have better service and more reliable receivers, but my local provider does not have comparable hardware lease promotions with what Dish has. They told me installation and unit was free as long as I only wanted one.

I still wonder why the dish dealer could not sell me what I need? 2 HD units and 3 DVR's

CRUZN8R said:
expertsatellite sells DirectTv, I can't buy from them because I live in a NRTC exclusive area.

I called my local DirectTv provider and asked about a multi-room install with HDTV and DVR's, they said "What's a DVR"?... After I explained what a DVR was ... They also said "you have to buy the HDTV units for $399 each, and you have to buy your own DVR's"

I wanted DirectTv because I hear they have better service and more reliable receivers, but my local provider does not have comparable hardware lease promotions with what Dish has. They told me installation and unit was free as long as I only wanted one.

I still wonder why the dish dealer could not sell me what I need? 2 HD units and 3 DVR's

Sounds like you need two 811's, a 522, and a 510. You can get the two 811's and the 522 as part of the promotion, but it is then up to you to get the 510/508 for the 5th receiver, and whatever switches and installation that it would require. Here is what it should cost to add the 510 as an additional receiver (5th tuner):

$299 - 510
$100 - DP34 switch
$000 - Install (if you do it yourself, $50-100 if you hire someone to add it)
______
$399 - if you want to do the work yourself

You would also pay two $4.98 DVR fees unless you have the Everything Pack - one for the 522, and one for the 510.

The business rules specifically state that only four tuners can be installed under the DHA promotion. That does NOT mean that you can't buy any additional equipment and add it on yourself!

Mainstreet said:
______
$399 - if you want to do the work yourself

Thanks for the input.

If I add a switch and a receiver myself do I have to call and get it activated? Will they charge me for that?
Sorry if that is a dumb question I do not have the stuff yet.

CRUZN8R said:
Thanks for the input.

If I add a switch and a receiver myself do I have to call and get it activated? Will they charge me for that?
Sorry if that is a dumb question I do not have the stuff yet.

You do have to call and activate the receiver, but no, no additional charge just for activating, but remember for each additional reciever other than your primary is a $4.99 monthly additional outlet fee (or whatever the marketing term is for it now).

I had the old dish 300, so I bought a 500 accross ebay for $20, installed that myself, then called dish and paid $99 for a dish 500 upgrade, they came out and installed a 2nd dish, and gave me a 301. Then I got the 811 deal for $199, and then went to sears and bought 2 311's and a 510 so now I have 6 receivers and the everything pack and the HD pack. My bill is $100 a month but I have hundreds of channels, much better than the 40 channels of snow I had with cable at $60 a month.

I Have a 5 receiver set up and none of them are any of the new dual tuners. The only thing I had to pay for was the install of the 5th receiver ($50) Look at my signature for what I have. I have 2 DP 34 switches interconnected. 1 of the DP 34's has 4 receivers and the second DP34 has the final receiver that was added. 1 word of caution though, when you run the signal from one DP34 through another, your signal strength will decrease, so I would suggest placing one of the NON-HDTV receivers on that second switch that will have to run through the first one

CRUZN8R said:

Yeah. Dishnetwork is MILES ahead of DirectTV when it comes to HD receivers, content and promotions. You'll go incredibly BROKE if you try to run with HD on DirectTV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)