501 & 721 exemption of PVR fees

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sherri

Original poster
Mar 27, 2004
Is it true.. the old 301 & 721 DVT's are exempt from Dishnetworks PVR fees? So you get DVR technology without the $5 a month charge? Even for existing customers who come across a 501 or 721?

Yes. I recently bought a refurbished 508 and replaced a non dvr receiver with it and it has no DVR fee.

Sherri said:
Is it true.. the old 301 & 721 DVR's are exempt from Dishnetworks PVR fees? So you get DVR technology without the $5 a month charge? Even for existing customers who come across a 501 or 721?
Is there any reason to get a DVR instead of a PVR then? Seems to me the PVR would be better (providing you could get ahold of one) ... just because it is exempt from fees...is that true?

Sherri said:
Is there any reason to get a DVR instead of a PVR then? Seems to me the PVR would be better (providing you could get ahold of one) ... just because it is exempt from fees...is that true?

A 501 or a 508 (without a fee) works exactly the same as a 510 (with a fee). Dish calls one a PVR and one a DVR. It's just a name.

The only reason to get a 510 would be the larger HD.

/Benjamin

Yes, they do the same exact thing. The only difference would be in the models itself. You can get a 510 basicly free, but for a 508 you'll have to pay around $200 for. What you have to decide is how long you plan on keeping the receiver and finding out which is cheaper. $200 lifetime, or $5/month plus initial cost. Hope this helps.