501 & 721 exemption of PVR fees

Sherri

Original poster
Mar 27, 2004
Is it true.. the old 301 & 721 DVT's are exempt from Dishnetworks PVR fees? So you get DVR technology without the $5 a month charge? Even for existing customers who come across a 501 or 721?

Yes. I recently bought a refurbished 508 and replaced a non dvr receiver with it and it has no DVR fee.

Sherri said:
Is it true.. the old 301 & 721 DVR's are exempt from Dishnetworks PVR fees? So you get DVR technology without the $5 a month charge? Even for existing customers who come across a 501 or 721?
Is there any reason to get a DVR instead of a PVR then? Seems to me the PVR would be better (providing you could get ahold of one) ... just because it is exempt from fees...is that true?

Sherri said:
Is there any reason to get a DVR instead of a PVR then? Seems to me the PVR would be better (providing you could get ahold of one) ... just because it is exempt from fees...is that true?

A 501 or a 508 (without a fee) works exactly the same as a 510 (with a fee). Dish calls one a PVR and one a DVR. It's just a name.

The only reason to get a 510 would be the larger HD.

/Benjamin

Yes, they do the same exact thing. The only difference would be in the models itself. You can get a 510 basicly free, but for a 508 you'll have to pay around $200 for. What you have to decide is how long you plan on keeping the receiver and finding out which is cheaper. $200 lifetime, or $5/month plus initial cost. Hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts