501 dvr questions

Rand

Original poster
Jan 2, 2007
I have a 501 that started getting a very weak signel and would lose the picture for the last 2 days, had a dish tec coming out (which they missed the appt) so I had moved it to the garage where I hook it up to watch the race and clean the garage and now my wife moved it to get into the freezer and I get nothing now so I don't know if it just went totally out or she screwed it up. It cuts on then cuts off after about 5 seconds, still humms but no green light. She says she was very careful when moving it. Anyhow a couple of questions. I take this receiver in my lq horse trailer with a dish that has only 2 adjustments and that works pretty well for me to get tv on the road. I am afraid I would have a harder time trying a 3 setting dish vs the up and down/ side to side. I guess I will have to get a new or used receiver so I was looking for suggestions on what would be the cheapest way to go? A 501 off ebay? I would like to avoid the $5 monthly fee and still keep my portable dish. Thanks to anybody willing to give me some advice on any of my problems.

The tuner chip on the 50x series receivers has been known to go bad. You might try to get it repaired, or get it replaced under the DHPP, or just buy another off ebay (or amazon where I just sold mine for $85) or elsewhere.

The issue of your antenna and satellites received all depends upon what channels you want. If you're happy with your 1-sat setup, then don't mess with it.

DHPP will cost you $5 per month and DISH will replace your defective 501 free under it. You can cancel DHPP after the successful repair.

Thanks for those replys. TheKrill, so thats what it sounds like? It powers up for about 3 seconds and then the green light goes out but it still humms. I guess no chance of recovering what was recourded on the dvr?
Another question, any idea if a 301 with a blue card will work or will I need a newer card. Its a old 301 I saved in case of emergencies like this.
Are there any other dvr's that avoid the $5 monthly fee and will still work with a dish 300?
Thanks so much for taking the time for replies!!

When you plug it in, it reboots and the light goes out. After it finishes rebooting, you should be able to turn it on.

You need to tell us what the output of the 501 looks like at steps along the way. Diagnosing by the state of the LEDs isn't very useful.

Thanks for those replys. TheKrill, so thats what it sounds like? It powers up for about 3 seconds and then the green light goes out but it still humms. I guess no chance of recovering what was recourded on the dvr?
Another question, any idea if a 301 with a blue card will work or will I need a newer card. Its a old 301 I saved in case of emergencies like this.
Are there any other dvr's that avoid the $5 monthly fee and will still work with a dish 300?
Thanks so much for taking the time for replies!!
when it goes out does fan still run ?? Have you left pluged in for lets say 30-35 min after repluging ?? Have you tried holding power button in for 10 seconds to reset the reciver ?? The 301 will work but needs new card , you need call dish.. Other dvrs like 508 not sure on 510 do not require dvr fee, however there basicaly same reiver as 501 just biger hd , If u add 2nd reciver you will get charged 5, you need to deactavate the 501..

yes the fan still runs, I had tried a front panel reset and even left it unplugged overnight. I get nothing on the tv screen. When I switch to the 301 I get all the normal stuff on the tv screen you would get with a receiver not activated

ok well after rehooking it, try leaving it hooked up for 45 min see if the hd maybe recovering do you hear lika a clicking sound ?? Maybe lights blinking >>

You may also want to double ck , she if she bumped the chanel switch in back of reciver make sure tv matches switch example 3, or 4 or input on tv if hooked deffrent

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)