508 / 721 toslink question

bassman

Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
Hello everyone. I`d like to upgrade to Dish PVR. The one with toslink. Can you guys tell me what audio format comes out of digital output? (After material is recorded on internal HD). Is it still 44.1 khz 16 bit PCM? No compression? This takes about 0.6 Gb per hour without video, and with PVR capacity of 60/80 hours seems kind of impossible.. Just wondering. :confused:
Do they use digital copy protection? Can I send signal directly to CD-R machine and get decent sound. Thank You

Hi... Can't tell you the specifics about the signal, but I regularly record to my Sony MZ-N510 via optical and everything works just fine. :D

Addition: I have a 510...

I can tell you that the audio is compressed along with the video coming down. The estimates of hard drive hourage are based upon an hour of SD video and PCM audio. If you record something with dolby digital in the stream expect to see about 1.5 gigs per hour as opposed to 1 gig per hour. and for the record everything that you watch on the DVRs is buffered through the hard drive. Its records to the drive strait from the dish. this way no data is lost with decoding-encoding-decoding it jsut strait decodes.

It's all stereo PCM 48kHz except for the few premium and PPV channels that carry Dolby Digital. On those, most movies since around 1994 are in DD 5.1. Everything else, including the ending credits of the DD 5.1 movies, is in DD 2.0. The HD channels also carry Dolby Digital but since I don't have those I can't comment on how often/what specific content/whatever is 5.1 vs. 2.0.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)