508 acceptable noise level

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
I just replace my original 508. It had a whinning, whistle kind of sound. The 2nd unit is quieter, but has a low hum type of sound. Is this normal? Is this something that I will have to accept if I want a pvr? The units I checked out at Circuit City & my local dish vendor, did not have these types of sounds. Am I just that unlucky on both units within a week's span? :(

Yup that noise is normal, its because the PVR is like your computer, it has a Hard Drive in it that spins (really really fast) inside of it, this is where that whine comes from.

All DVRs sound this way, although some are quieter then others (but not by much) :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yup that noise is normal, its because the PVR is like your computer, it has a Hard Drive in it that spins (really really fast) inside of it, this is where that whine comes from.

All DVRs sound this way, although some are quieter then others (but not by much) :)

My 508 is a lot quieter than my dishplayer was. I actually was used to the sound and didn't notice it but guests always asked about it. If my 508 is making any noise it is very minimal.

bnewt said:
I just replace my original 508. It had a whinning, whistle kind of sound. The 2nd unit is quieter, but has a low hum type of sound. Is this normal? Is this something that I will have to accept if I want a pvr? The units I checked out at Circuit City & my local dish vendor, did not have these types of sounds. Am I just that unlucky on both units within a week's span? :(

Also check to see if the 508 is flat. I had to put a small piece of folded paper under one end to eliminate the "humming".

Bern

I did check to see if it was flat. I decided to return the unit. I would have liked to have kept it, but could not justify the noise when just watching satellite tv. I do not record that often, but it would have been nice to do it all in one box.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts