508 coax out combined with ota to different tv?

G

Original poster
I have 1 508, 1 OTA roof mounted antenna and 2 tv's. The 508 feeds the primary tv with the S video. Is it possible to take the coax out of the 508 and connect it to the ota coax so that the second tv would watch the 508 on channel 3 (in addition to the other ota channels)?

The ota coax splits in the attic so the 508 channel 3 signal would have to go "backwards" up towards the antenna thru the splitter and back down to the other tv.

What do you think? I'm sure I'm not the first one to come up with this idea.

ps. Great site!

You can't run the ant signal back up the same cable after you added another signal to it, but you can diplex the sat in(from the dish) and the chan 3 output at the receiver location, then undiplex it at the splitter location(attic) and mix the chan 3 signal with ant. and run it back out to both sets...... :shock:

This will only work if the sat signal passes through your attic close to the ant cable.

Good luck,

Stoosh

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to not have to run another cable but I guess I need to. The sat and ota cables only come together at the one tv. They start at different ends of the house.

Thanks again

I have always had some difficulty in mixing or combining signals on adjacent channels---Ch 3 is supposed to be relatively easy to do but I wind up with problems on Ch 4.

Geronimo said:
I have always had some difficulty in mixing or combining signals on adjacent channels---Ch 3 is supposed to be relatively easy to do but I wind up with problems on Ch 4.

You always need at least one unused channel spacing inbetween modulated channels and other modulated, or cable/Ant channels.

If you buy a single channel modulator that allows you to select the channel you can eliminate this problem, by selecting a higher channel number that does not have adjacent channels to interfere.

What's the best and cheapest way to mix the chan 3 signal and the OTA antenna??

guest said:
What's the best and cheapest way to mix the chan 3 signal and the OTA antenna??

Your best bet is to buy a digital modulator, then get a combiner to combine the ant/modulated signal together. This company has good prices for comsumers I even buy stuff from them instead of wholesalers sometimes. Buy the Aska RFDM-100

Here is a link to the page.

http://www.starlink-dss.com/modulator.html

i at one time had this hook up. main tv in back of house with E* receiver,2nd tv in front of house about 50 feet distance.i took telephone wire and ran it between E* receiver and 2nd tv. i spliced rca connections onto the ends of the phone wire at the receiver i pluggef it into the rca out connections. on the 2nd tv i plugged it into the rca in connections.my 2nd tv operated this way channel 00 received the rca input from E* receiver and the other channels received ota channels from antenna.it worked great.make sure you get phone wire that has 6 separate wires inside so you can connect rca ends for right left and video connections.

Can a person use a combiner/splitter to combine the 3 signal and a OTA antenna? If so which is the best type?

The modulators seem to be a little expensive

da bears said:
Can a person use a combiner/splitter to combine the 3 signal and a OTA antenna? If so which is the best type?

The modulators seem to be a little expensive

Certainly - I've used a little dedicated combiner from radio shack (it was around $20 then) for about 6 years now that works very well. For some reason, I can't find it on their website anymore (discontinued?) but use this froogle link:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=SIGNAL+COMBINER

and it looks alot like that first one (jvi) - it has two inputs, one for the main OTA antenna and one for the RF out from whatever device you choose. Just make sure that that device is set to channel 3 or 4 and then flip the proper switch (3/4) on this combiner. (The STEREN one looks like they have a SEPARATE one for CHANNEL 3 and CHANNEL 4).

Just don't use one of those combo $5 SPLITTER/COMBINER you find at Walmart and the like as they aren't designed to have one input specifically for channel 3 or 4.

KyDave
Radio Shack discontinued that item a while ago

Here is a current model

http://skydeals.com/signal.htm

they only cost around $15 including shipping

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)