508 (or any other i suppose) HDD - okay to leave unit on?

JKeats

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 6, 2005
is it safe to leave your dvr (in particular i have the 508) on all the time?

by this i mean that during the day when i'm at work, if there's stuff i want to record during the week i would need to leave my unit on all day. this means it would likely be powered on roughly 15 hours a day (i'd be turning it off at night when i decide to go to bed).

is this not a good idea? i wouldn't want to fry my hard drive or greatly shorten its life span by running my unit an excessive amount of time.

thanks for the info gents.

As long as it is not currently recording it is ok to cut it off. It will turn on and off by itself to record the programs that you have selected to record.

JKeats said:
is it safe to leave your dvr (in particular i have the 508) on all the time?

by this i mean that during the day when i'm at work, if there's stuff i want to record during the week i would need to leave my unit on all day. this means it would likely be powered on roughly 15 hours a day (i'd be turning it off at night when i decide to go to bed).

is this not a good idea? i wouldn't want to fry my hard drive or greatly shorten its life span by running my unit an excessive amount of time.

thanks for the info gents.

JKeats: You don't need to leave the 508 on to record a program(s). Simply create a timer and power the 508 off via the remote. When the start time occurs the 508 will power on and record the program then power off when the recording is completed.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
JKeats: You don't need to leave the 508 on to record a program(s). Simply create a timer and power the 508 off via the remote. When the start time occurs the 508 will power on and record the program then power off when the recording is completed.

NightRyder
Have a friend who had the 77 T/A Black and gold. I had a 79 Z/28. Currently own a 69 Camero 350 SS.

ByrdWatcher said:
Have a friend who had the 77 T/A Black and gold. I had a 79 Z/28. Currently own a 69 Camero 350 SS.

Cool. I had a 69 Camero SS 396 back in the mid 80's. Wish I had kept it, sold it to my nephew, he totaled it. :(

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)