508 problems.... conspiracy to upgrade?

david4455

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
I have written about my problem with my old 508 receiver. When I go to play a dvr recorded program my screen goes blank and I lose satellite signal. The receiver begins the process of resetting itself and I have to wait until it goes through it's 5 steps to get a picture again. I have spent 4 months and gone thru 3 replacement receivers to be finally told that it is a software issue and "we are working on it".....

This morning I wondered if this is really so or perhaps it is a conspiracy to faze out the old "free" dvr 508 receiver....after enough frustration with it resetting itself every time I try and watch a recrorded program I will ( and I am close) eventually give and up grade and get the next generation of dvr receiver where I have to pay a monthly charge.

Well don't think there is any conspiracy going on but you might look at upgrading and getting on a newer model of DVR. I would think Dish would have some kind of upgrade plan for you so give them a call see what they say. If you have no luck let me know.

Well don't think there is any conspiracy going on but you might look at upgrading and getting on a newer model of DVR. I would think Dish would have some kind of upgrade plan for you so give them a call see what they say. If you have no luck let me know.

They have offered me either the 510 ( which I understand has the same loss of signal issue) or the 625.....but again they both come with the monthly charge. My guess is I will have to bite the bullet and up grade and pay the fee.....

I do not have that problem with my 508. Could it be some odd combination of equipment that does not agree with your 508, since you have tried several? Are you sure your switches, etc are compatible/properly installed?

If it's a software issue, it's with some combination of equipment you have, because I've seen few posts about 508s rebooting.

All the 5xx and 721 and older receivers will go away, maybe in 3 years. Dish is switching to use 8PSK and MPEG-4 more an more, to more efficiently use their allotted bandwidth. I expect sometime this year they will start the process of issuing only such receivers to new customers/upgraders. And then they'll start replacing older defective receivers with them. etc etc until the final day comes, upgrade or lose service. I'm sure the deals offered will be good. But I'll hold onto my 508 & 721 as long as possible.

My drive upgraded 7100's work better than they ever have these days. I don't think there's any conspiracy going on, but I've got a tinfoil hat you can borrow if you want. :D

I'm seeing the exact same issue (go to DVR'd event, try to play, and the whole thing resets itself) on my 510. It doesn't happen every time, but seems to happen most often in the morning - regardless of whether I have turned off the receiver in the night or not.

I'm seeing the exact same issue (go to DVR'd event, try to play, and the whole thing resets itself) on my 510. It doesn't happen every time, but seems to happen most often in the morning - regardless of whether I have turned off the receiver in the night or not.

I was told by tech support that the 510 is also having the same "software " issues.....

I do not have that problem with my 508.

You must be the only one. Both mine screwed up at the same time with the same problems, at the same time I got the software upgrade to remove tivo patented software. I'm ticked off at Dish about this.

My 510 has the same problems everyone else has been experiencing (reboots, crashes, etc--luckily nothing erased...yet). The thing was fine up to and including 3.66, but once 3.68 came around, forget it.

(for the poster above who they offered the 510 or 625 to, what was the price they offered it to you to?)

I've got a 508,510,522 and 625 which are all working perfectly. Am I just lucky? Running a Dish 500 with a dp quad and a 44 switch (2 feeds to the 522, one each to the others) So far, so good!

I have 2 508's a 522 and a 622 and have had no problems from any of them either.The 622 is for hd only so the 508 's and 522 record a lot every day for the rest of the family and no problems. The 522 had a problem of jumping to the end of a recording when pushing the skip button a few software versions back, but that is it for problems.

I have had these same issues since 3.65 with my 508.

I grabbed DVR advantage package they offered and a new 625 and am paying the same per month now without constant service issues. Of course I had to cry, scream, shout and threaten to go to Direct to achieve the end result and not get caught up in the nickel and dime circus.

I would tell anyone with these issues to email CEO@echostar.com and ask them to call you, rather then use the normal support route. I made 40 calls and got nowhere before getting my issue resolved through the helpful staff at the echostar executive office with just one email.

(On a side note: I filled the 508, which I own, with 80 hours of movies and have it in a spare room for guests when they visit.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)