508 replacement

meeko

Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
I have two 508s in two different rooms. Both are wired up to each others TV. My 508s are starting to get flaky. If I were to replace them, what are your suggestions. I like DVR, but guess will have to pay fee. Should I purchase one dual tuner? Or stay with two separate units.

I would try a couple of things before replacing the 508's , they are overall pretty steady units, and of course no DVR fees.

1. Do a full reset on each one

2. Make sure the problem isn't with the wiring/dish itself

You are very vague as to what is wrong, perhaps more info would help. But either way a full reset can't hurt.

Be aware that a single Dual tuner DVR for two rooms will have limitations if there are times when you need each room to have independent viewing capabilites. If you are in Dual Mode and someone is watching or recording their show on a different channel on TV 2 while you are watching a different channel on TV 1, then you will only have one tuner at TV 1 to watch TV and no longer have the 2nd tuner for recording on a different channel of your choice at the same time. If this is not a problem, then get the 625. Or if it will be a problem, then consider keeping one 508 and trading in the other 508 as an upgrade to the 625. Dish will allow this for a nominal extra charge (as you will not exceed the 4 tuner lease limit). This will allow you to have full-time 2 tuners for your TV 1 in Single mode. That's what my uncle did, and he likes 625 in TV room and his old 510 for the wife in the living room.

Last edited:
meeko said:
I have two 508s in two different rooms. Both are wired up to each others TV. My 508s are starting to get flaky.

I think since the last four or five software updates, most everyones 508's are getting flaky.

I've had nothing but problems since 3.08 roll out.

Frostwolf said:
I think since the last four or five software updates, most everyones 508's are getting flaky.

My 508's have been a bit quirky lately as well...

Frostwolf said:

ToddMeister said:
My 508's have been a bit quirky lately as well...

Have you contacted dish regarding these issues? I emailed the ceo address and they had not heard of any concerns, but they did forward my email to the advance tech department. My problems have been mainly with the discrete-on and the screen saver not starting. I don't get the "press select to continue" anymore. I think it has a lot to do with the p3.09 and later updates for the Dish on Demand feature. I think the DoD downloads in the middle of the night do not put the box back in standby mode.

Please contact them!! Before the updates, my 508 and 510 were nearly flawless for the past few years. The more people they hear from the better chance of getting a fix.