508 Timer Problems started Friday

jkohnman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
Hi,

After a couple years of trouble free use, my 508 PVR started missing timers on Friday. Is anyone aware of any recent changes or issues? I did some test recordings today, and it seemed to be working but then my acutal timer failed to fire. I've reset it a couple of times, and pulled the card also. I was messing with it at 2 PM, set a timer for 2:30 and it fired (with unit off). Then at 5 a normal timer fired okay and shut off at 5:30. At 6 PM another one time timer failed to fire. I reset the box, and when it got through rebooting it came on and started to record the show.

The only thing 'unusual' is that I had received a message that I couldn't set any new timers as I had exceeded the limit (lots of 1 time stuff this week, not a normal situation). Many of those have since been missed or recorded, so I'm below the limits for sure now.

I'd appreciate any help anyone might be able to give.

Jim

Hi,

After a couple years of trouble free use, my 508 PVR started missing timers on Friday. Is anyone aware of any recent changes or issues? I did some test recordings today, and it seemed to be working but then my acutal timer failed to fire. I've reset it a couple of times, and pulled the card also. I was messing with it at 2 PM, set a timer for 2:30 and it fired (with unit off). Then at 5 a normal timer fired okay and shut off at 5:30. At 6 PM another one time timer failed to fire. I reset the box, and when it got through rebooting it came on and started to record the show.

The only thing 'unusual' is that I had received a message that I couldn't set any new timers as I had exceeded the limit (lots of 1 time stuff this week, not a normal situation). Many of those have since been missed or recorded, so I'm below the limits for sure now.

I'd appreciate any help anyone might be able to give.

Jim

In the many years I have had the 508 it never missed a timed recording until about a week ago when it starting missing all timed recordings. After doing a reset by removing the card, it seems to now be working correctly. It will take a couple more days to determine for sure though.

My 510 on Thursday and Friday missed only one timer, in fact the receiver didn't even want to turn on at all on Friday had to hold the power button to get it on. It was strange, it recorded everything set for the afternoon or evening but didn't get Fox and Friends. It's working now after I had unplugged the receiver for 20 seconds and plugging it back in.

My 510 on Thursday and Friday missed only one timer, in fact the receiver didn't even want to turn on at all on Friday had to hold the power button to get it on. It was strange, it recorded everything set for the afternoon or evening but didn't get Fox and Friends. It's working now after I had unplugged the receiver for 20 seconds and plugging it back in.

Beginning on Friday my now 24 month old leased 510 started missing timers. It would record one or two after a power button reboot but them miss the following one. I called Dish and they agreed to send out a replacement which looks like it may arrive today.

On Saturday my second 9 month old leased 510 started displaying the exact same characteristic as the first and missed several timers. At this point I realized it was most likely a software issue and called Dish just to have them relay the problem to their engineers.

When the replacement 510 arrives I intend to swap it out with the 24 month old unit however since its going to immediately download the latest software I strongly expect to start experiencing timers failures.

Since my lease obligation is up on the 24 month old unit should this bug drag on for long I fully intend to deactivate it and send it back to Dish.:(

My 508 started missing timers after the time change. I had to delete all of the old timers and then recreate them. This seems to have worked for me.

Same here. My 508 is not recording a M-F "Regis and Kelly" timer and the wife is not happy. :( Way to go Dish.

Note: this 508 actually has two M-F timers. The 2nd one at 11 AM fires OK, it's only the 1st one at 9 AM that doesn't work. I'm trying this again leaving the 508 on to see if this helps.

Last edited:
Just to update the situation. I just called CSR who was very friendly/concerned. She said that she's taken a number of reports on this problem and they have been forwarding them to the engineers. She said there was a recent software update, so she feels that something there went wrong.

If you are having a problem, I would sugguest you call also, maybe put the pressure on them to get this fixed? They did want my receiver # etc, which I don't have as I'm at work, but will call back tonight to report it. She did say I did not have to do that, as once a fix is put out, it will go to all, not just those who reported it.

Wow, I thought it was just me.

I have a M-F for the news that isn't working.

If I try to manually start it recording, the 510 sees the conflict with the non-functioning timer.

On reboot the timer will ofter fire and start immediately.

Has the 50x gotten a software update lately?

According to the techdepot 363 was released 10/3. Don't think this problem has been there that long.

I wonder if this is a problem in the data stream.

Has the 50x gotten a software update lately?

According to the techdepot 363 was released 10/3. Don't think this problem has been there that long.

I wonder if this is a problem in the data stream.

I think it must be when it tried to 'wake up' for the timer. Once the first one triggered (after a reboot) the rest went with not problems (Sunday is a big recording day). I did get one that went on as normal about 2 hours after I had rebooted. But after 1/2 hour break, the one after that didn't fire. The rest 'one after the other' timers went as they should.

I think it must be when it tried to 'wake up' for the timer. Once the first one triggered (after a reboot) the rest went with not problems (Sunday is a big recording day). I did get one that went on as normal about 2 hours after I had rebooted. But after 1/2 hour break, the one after that didn't fire. The rest 'one after the other' timers went as they should.

Interesting idea.

If that is true, the box might work better if it's left on.

We'll have to experiment.

My 508 is at P363 (all 501/508/510 use same firmware).
I didn't notice any problems Friday (specifically) nor Monday.
I don't record much on weekends unless there is a special.

Now, the funny thing is... my PVR is set to auto-update firmware.
I'm pretty %$&# sure I left it as ask my permission.
I know Dish can over ride, so I wonder if they did?
I'd been draggin' my feet and keeping the firmware at the previous version to avoid problems like mentioned in this thread.

The 508 that my wife records her soaps failed to record on Friday and Monday. I deleted the timers and reentered again, I'm waiting to see if it happens again.

I have had similar problems for last two -three weeks and problems seem to happen more in the morning for the first timer set.
We have two DVRs and both have missed recordings from time to time.
Suspect software problem.

The 508 that my wife records her soaps failed to record on Friday and Monday. I deleted the timers and reentered again, I'm waiting to see if it happens again.

Did it? I set up 2 one minute timers last night and again for this AM and they both fired off okay. Makes me think that might work. Another afternoon timer, didn't fire, but when I turned it on to check the next timer fired normal.

Brother!

My 2 510's started acting up a few weeks ago. Seems that the 9am m-f rachael ray timer goes off ok, but nothing afterward. And now, it won't record from my distant channels even if I manually tell it to. Once the distants go away, I really have no reason at all to stick with dish anymore.

I should mention that at first if I pulled the card to reboot, once the card went back in and they settled down, if there was a timer that should already be recording, they began to record. I have unplugged them both for a couple hours. I have deleted and recreated all of the timers. Now they just refuse to record anything, via timer or manually.

Last edited:
Still problems with DVR-- this morning- it woke up to record first program- but missed the program after that.

I had it on and then it recorded other programs

Had erased timers and reset them before todays miss- there still seems to be problems.

Does anyone know for sure if DISH is addressing this or should I call in

I have had problems with my receiver for the past 2 weeks but have not had time to call in yet, been too busy with kids and the wife. Since I own my 508 and is fee free I am not expecting much when I do call in.:mad:

Would this have anything to do with trying to record off DNS as I am trying to do? Anyone having trouble recording from LIL? Just a thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)