508 Upgrade Options

Rick757

Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
Georgia
I got the letter about the 508 becoming obsolete and I am trying to figure out my best overall upgrade option. I will not switch from Dish Network and have been on their system since day 1.We travel the Nascar Circuit and locals are not an issue on the road. Here is my current setup.
1 625 DVR in house with both tuners active. Leased
1 508 DVR in Motorhome. Owned
1 311 in Motorhome. Owned

I use a Dish Pro LNB on a tripod for the Motorhome and two tuners are a necessity if i'm going to stay married...

What's it gonna be????

Dish normally wants to replace your 508 with a 512 which actually has two tuners just like your 625. (The 512 is a crippled 522.) Did you mean you need two tuners independently controllable? Maybe they'll let you uncover the TV2 output on a 512...

Rick757 said:
I got the letter about the 508 becoming obsolete and I am trying to figure out my best overall upgrade option. I will not switch from Dish Network and have been on their system since day 1.We travel the Nascar Circuit and locals are not an issue on the road. Here is my current setup.
1 625 DVR in house with both tuners active. Leased
1 508 DVR in Motorhome. Owned
1 311 in Motorhome. Owned

I use a Dish Pro LNB on a tripod for the Motorhome and two tuners are a necessity if i'm going to stay married...

What's it gonna be????

If you're not planning to upgrade to HDTV anytime soon, Dish will just replace the 508 with a 512, which is similar to a 625 except it's only for 1 TV instead of 2. Since the 508 is owned, the 512 would also be considered owned as well.

Sent from my iPod touch using SatelliteGuys

Thanks guys. I do need two independent tuners on the motorhome but was not aware of the 522 option as it is not shown on the dish website so I don't know how much that upgrade would cost. That might be a good option because I could do away with the 311 and save a little money. Hope one of the dirt crew will jump in here as I only want to go through this once.

Thanks guys. I do need two independent tuners on the motorhome but was not aware of the 522 option as it is not shown on the dish website so I don't know how much that upgrade would cost. That might be a good option because I could do away with the 311 and save a little money. Hope one of the dirt crew will jump in here as I only want to go through this once.

I dont think there is a 522 anymore. The dual tuner/dual output SD DVR (whew!) is a 625
The 512 is a dual tuner/single output SD DVR

If you go with the 625 it would be a wash money wise... The 508 you are paying $10 extra now (just changed) and the 311 is $7. The 625 is $17 a month. But you'd gain a DVR tuner (on the 625). The 311 has no DVR

I think motorhome excludes the stacking issue, I could be wrong......

Used to be. I think they changed the rules. One account at home, one account "on the road" since STBs are left in both locations. Think of an audit team call. Of course, many live full time in their RVs, so that's a single account.

Clearly, with the tailgater, there is plenty of wiggle room.

to sum up:

replace with 512 -- no change in price or functionality
replace with 522/625 and disable 311 -- no change in price, add addtional DVR tuner, possible 1 time upgrade fee with contract (there are still a few 522s floating around in warehouses out there)
replace with 622/722 and disable 311 -- no change in price w/o HD programming , add additional DVR tuner, 1 HD tuner for future, 722 sling compatible, ext hard drive capable, upgrade fee with contract (there are alot of 622s left)

you with need a DishPro Plus LNB for any of these as well, and/or some re-wiring

Hi Rick, The 522 is not an option but the 625 would be if you wanted to go that route. DISH Network will eventually replace the 508 with a 512 and it will remain owned on your account same as the 508. Your account should be receiving a $3.00 credit for the next 24 months. After that credits rolls off, you monthly bill will increase $3.00. The 512 will give you the ability to record one program and watch a different live channel or previously recorded show simultaneously. You can also choose to upgrade the receiver at any time. The replacement would be leased and require a 24 month commitment with a $1.00 credit card authorization. You can upgrade to anything including HD! Maybe adding the HD to your home and then moving the 625 to the motorhome. This would keep the monthly billing the same as the other You have a lot of option available to you and if you would like to discuss specifics, please send me a PM and I can review your account. Just let me know!

ViP211K

I read the ViP211K may be offered, but don't know if they'll waive the $40 fee to use an EHD allowing it to function as a DVR for 508 owners...do you know if they'll waive the fee?

Hi projectman and :welcometo Sat Guys. DISH Network has issued credits to these account for the next 24 months but we will not waive the #$40.00 one time activation fee for the VIP211 receivers. The credits should more than cover this charge.

DISH Network has issued credits to these account for the next 24 months but we will not waive the #$40.00 one time activation fee for the VIP211 receivers. The credits should more than cover this charge.

So, the credit will remain even if the receiver is changed?

I have a 211 w/ EHD, 2 311's, and a 501.
Only one HD display in the house.

Trying to figure out the best route too.
In the past I've had bad lick with multi-room devices, so I'm leery of a dual output unit.

How well do the dual output units really work?
What are the current options for wiring them? I really don't want to drill another/bigger hole to run a cable to the 2nd room, and I really don't want an RF connection anyway (everything is wired using A/V cables and/or HDMI now)

So, the credit will remain even if the receiver is changed?

I have a 211 w/ EHD, 2 311's, and a 501.
Only one HD display in the house.

Trying to figure out the best route too.
In the past I've had bad lick with multi-room devices, so I'm leery of a dual output unit.

How well do the dual output units really work?
What are the current options for wiring them? I really don't want to drill another/bigger hole to run a cable to the 2nd room, and I really don't want an RF connection anyway (everything is wired using A/V cables and/or HDMI now)
Yes, the credit that has been placed on accounts for the 508 receiver fee changes, that took place on 8-11, will remain on the account for the full 24 months. I would probably recommend another 211. Since you have already have paid the $40.00 activation fee there would not be another fee.
Dual receiver can do HDMI, Component, Composite & coax to TV1 and TV2 has a coax (generally used) and composite outputs. If you would like to PM me your account information I can tell you exactly what the pricing options would be! Thank you!

Last edited:
Dual receiver can do HDMI, Component, Composite & coax to TV1 and TV2 has a coax (generally used) and composite outputs.

So I'd need to run 3 lines to the other room, about 30ft away. The RF output still means another hole (or enlarging one) to get the coax from the receiver out of the room. (I have coax on the floor in that room already because I don't want another holed in the 100 year old hardwood floor)

So, a 211 + EHD looks best.

However, I do have some issues with the 211 DVR software and the 722 might not have the same.
(Complains that I have too many timers when adding one, but only have 25 timers. And lately Pass timers are acting up, like it's not searching the guide data for the events.)

I got the same letter.
I just got a notice from Dish saying they are replacing my 508 due to technology changes and are now going to charge me a DVR fee. Plus, I get nailed with tax too.
I can't image what technology change they need unless they just want to add more security to their hardware. Well, that's not my problem. I paid for this box. It is not leased or rented. My service has not changed since I got it.
Is there a class action suit somewhere I can join.

They are changing the way the channels are sent from the satellite....which in turn gives them more bandwidth

Right now Western Arc (110/119 and most of the SD on 129) is MPEG2 QPSK modulation. All Dish receivers can see those. The HD is MPEG4.
They are going to change to MPEG4 which the older receivers cannot see. Eastern Arc (61.5/72/77) is already MPEG4

This allows Dish to add more channels.

I got the same letter.
I just got a notice from Dish saying they are replacing my 508 due to technology changes and are now going to charge me a DVR fee. Plus, I get nailed with tax too.
I can't image what technology change they need unless they just want to add more security to their hardware. Well, that's not my problem. I paid for this box. It is not leased or rented. My service has not changed since I got it.
Is there a class action suit somewhere I can join.

Don't panic just yet :) Look at this way you know that the 501/508 has at least 2 years of use left.Who knows they may be in service longer than that.Lots of qpsk receivers still subbed and its going to take a while for dish to replace them all imo