510 DVR...How would you rank it?

Tony S said:
The 501, 508, and 510 receivers are all the same except for the size of the hard drive. The 510 receiver has the $5/month charge, while the 501 and 508 do not.

Ya, I've been wondering that...I have a 510, why the hell they charging $5/month to use it when their 501/508 don't have a charge? If they are basically the same, is it just another way to screw me?

2extreme said:
Ya, I've been wondering that...I have a 510, why the hell they charging $5/month to use it when their 501/508 don't have a charge? If they are basically the same, is it just another way to screw me?

Yep!

I've had good luck with my 510s. I bought one in Sept 03 and then a second one this past Christmas. My oldest one has been solid. Had maybe a couple times in 18+ months where I had to reboot. The second 510 has been good so far. Only problem with it was I had it located at a central spot and the uhf remote was having trouble working. I relocated and so far no problem at all. I'd have to give my 510s a 9 out of 10 rating. I just picked up a 508 and installed it yesterday. So far it seems good and the price on ebay was reasonable. It's a little too early to rate it. I too would love the dual tuner DVRs but there seems to be far less trouble with the old school ones.

Well my newer 510 had a major glitch last night. On Tuesday nights, I record about two hours worth of sitcoms. Last night, I was in the midst of recording when I decided to clean some of the old recordings out. Well, that locked up the machine-it wouldn't come out of the management screen, and the recording would not stop at the end of the scheduled time. I had no choice but to reboot with the power switch. Of course, the recording-which would have been finished during the lockup, was gone. So I missed out on George Lopez and all that. Guess I can't expect the machine to multi-task. One would think that if the machine couldn't handle doing something while doing something else, it would simply not LET you do it. Oh well, still a good unit.

By the way, it seems that my PQ has gotten better while watching through my projector. Wonder if they amped up some bandwidth to the channels that I have watched?

The 510 is the most stable E* PVR we've had in our household. It is in our bedroom and has never missed a recording. Our 921 does most of the heavy lifting for our viewing, but the 510 still records 10-15 hours a week of shows which we watch when working at the computer or just before bedtime.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)