510 help!!!!

sA :: Shaggy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
5701 S Santa Fe Dr
I have about 7 hr.s left on my dvr and i was wondering is there any possible way to netowrk or even ftp into the box to remove all the shows and put them onto dvd and such. I have a dvd writer hooked up to my tv but it takes soooo long any help or am I just stuck

thx for the help my only question now is, can E* notice if i have opened my 510... i looked all around it for a seal or something coverign screws and there isnt anything like that.

the box has a switch that detects tampering, once its disturbed it sends a signal back by satellite, and your home is visited by black ops:)

just JOKING, couldnt pass this one up.

Once you remove the black cover, you'll see a silver anti-tamper sticker about half inch by an inch long.
It prevents you from removing the bracket holding the hard drive.
However, it's possible to use the power and data cables going from the motherboard (right there in the middle) to the drive.
You would just have to make short mating cables.

I have two techniques for extracting the data.
One is to fully power down the PVR, and lift out the drive.

I've been at this for over a year, with the tool finally getting reliable and professional first quarter of 2005.
Extracting and making DVDs is not a trivial task.
It's a full-blown hobby by itself.

For the great unwashed, I'd recommend using a stand along DVD recorder through the Svideo port.
Of course, if one of the forum administrators wants to start a sticky thread for this subject, I'll be happy to contribute.
In the mean time, here's a Canadian forum where I've given a few pointers.

And hurry up, a full DVR is about a minute away from not working at any time. When the HDD is full, it can't write new program data and it doesn't like that. If it can't do what it wants, it stops working all together.

Dishrip will help, and unless you're leasing the box, don't worry about that sticker (You can flip that drive over for better access without removing the sticker). I'd also recommend the standalone DVD recorder, it's less of a hassle.

SimpleSimon said:
Bull$#!t.
The DVRs have reserved areas (sometimes even whole partitions) on the HDD for their software.

duh... NO !
The 501/508/510 do not have firm/software on the hard drive.

The 522/625 and 7xx series do, though. Dunno about the 9xx's.

But, storing software on the drive has nothing to do with storage space for movies.
The 5xx's and probably later models will delete shows if they run out of room and there are unprotected shows.

I am leasing, thats another question once i upgrade to the 625/522 when i send it back to them are they going to open it and look to see if it was messed with. (question for my other 510 when i oped the first the anti tamper tape wasn't even attached to the box, not torn or anything)

oops, and more

Looks like SimpleSimon and I responded with all seriousness to a joke made by Purogamer.
So, as Rosanne Roseannadanna might say, "Never mind!" :)

btw, Shaggy... the extraction method discussed above only works on PVR 5xx systems, and will not work on 522/625 boxes.
They store the data in a whole 'nother way.

For all the "anti-tamper" stuff i've seen over the years, I very rarely (if ever) have heard of someone getting charged for actually tampering. I'm sure it's happened but...

Fill up that HDD to the point that the guide can't fully download and it'll stop working. Doesn't have to be full, just enough that the guide can't update, see what happens...

Start cleaning it off ASAP, I learned the hard way...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts