510 name based recording??

j5races

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
Scott, you have me very excited. Will the 510 get the name based recording as well on wed.?? is the 522 the only one to get it?? thanks a million for filling us in. Jon

Probably the 510 won't get it yet. The 522 is a totally different software than the other DVR models. (501, 508 and 510 are exactly the same except the size of the hard drive, then there's the 721 and 921 which are similar but not the same). I guess it depends on how portable their code is, whether they can just insert a new module and recompile, or have to build it from the ground up.

I don't know, the name based recording could be just the thing they could use to justify the DVR fee on the 510/921 and I would think they'd tick off a lot of customers if they provided that service to some DVRs but not all. Especially the 510/921 owners, as if the folks that own a 921 don't have enough to complain about now.

Let's be patient it might not even be worth having the way DISH writes software let the 522 have the additional bugs the 501-510 seem to work pretty reliably.

The name based recording was promised to start 6 months ago. I think they said the 522 would get it first , then the 510/508/501,then the 921 and then the 721 last. So I guess by next summer we will all have the name based recording features. Just in time to buy a new one , since they will be switching to mpeg4. Oh well a day late and a dollar short. That should be Dish's motto. :p

Talked to Dish folks about upgrade for 510. They said maybe 2 months. Takes over a month to get all receivers upgraded and initial set of customer Qs/issues resolved.

Well according to the latest thread by Scott , Dish has said no namebased recording features will be added to the 500 series dvrs, the 721 or the wonderful 921. Only the 522 and the yet to be created dvrs will have namebased recording.

Screwed again. Thanks Dish. :mad:

MikeD-C05 said:
Well according to the latest thread by Scott , Dish has said no namebased recording features will be added to the 500 series dvrs, the 721 or the wonderful 921.

I know that Scott got that information in a reply from DISH but MY contacts at DISH tell me that it just isn't true. There ARE plans to add namebased recording to the current DVRs.

WTF???? So all of us loyal customers with 921, 721, and 50x series get screwed while new customers get the good stuff. NOW I'm starting to get SICK of E* and Charlie's crap.

People who don't post on this forum probably don't know nothing about E* putting NBR on their receivers. Only the ones that watch the CC and post here knew about it. I don't know anyone but me who watched the CC. So I know a lot of people that know nothing about NBR.

Huh?

The people posting here are, on average, at least twice as knowledgable as the typical customer.

I'm an installer, and in this DBS-saturated county, most of our installs are for new city people that still trying to change channels on the TV instead of the receiver. :(

I know a lot of people that dont even know what DVR (PVR) is and even if the do they show a lack of interest in it.

That's why I have a demonstrator in the showroom. I've got a good spiel for it. I hit their favorite channel and start talking about the fancy features - while they're still watching the show. Then I hit Pause and go right into how great it is when the phone rings or it's time to take out the trash. :) That gets their attention - wives love it - no more excuses from hubby. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)