510's use of UHF and IR signals

coreillydish

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
Hi everyone. I just upgraded one of my 301 receivers to a 510 and I love it. The manual says, "The remote control uses both UHF radio signals and IR signals to control the receiver." Along with the 510's included remote I noticed that the remote for my old 301 can also control the 510. My question is when I am using the included remote and changing channels on the 510 is the remote changing the channels via UHF or IR? Also, is there a way to disable UHF and control the receiver via IR only? The only reason why I am asking these questions is because it looks like my old 301's IR-only remote seems to change channels faster and scroll through the guide quicker on the 510 than with the 510's included remote control. Thanks for the help.

The 510's remote uses RF to control the 510 and the IR is for other componets like a AMP, VCR, ETC...

Save your old 301 remote in case you buy a universal remote so you can code it for the 510.

chastulsa, i disagree with you. The remotes output uhf and ir at the same time. If you unhook the antenna for the uhf on the back of the 510 and press button it will still work as long as you point the remote at it because it outputs both when you press a button. If you dont believe me then take a learning remote and teach an ir code from the pvr remote to it and you'll see it outputs ir as well as uhf.

coreillydish to answer you question, yes to disable (effectively) uhf just unscrew that little antenna in the back of your box and voila ir only. Not sure if its faster with ir only but its your choice. Jon

So just to clarify the 510 does have IR control? (I understand the 510 Remote uses UHF to control it)... I was under the impression it had no IR receiver. PLEASE SAY IT IS SO! The Idea being I would like to get a better universal remote to control all my HT components including the dish receiver (Harmony 680)

The 510 receives IR signals.
The Harmony 680 will work just fine (I have a Harmony 659 and a MX-500 here - both controlling my 508 (same receiver, smaller HD) with no trouble).

It send a IR and RF signal at the same time. If you are in another room then the RF works the receiver. If you are in the same room as the receiver, then both signals work the receiver. I hardly ever point my remote at the receiver so I mainly use the RF signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts