52.0 remote no longer controls Hopper 3

videojanitor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
I'm trying to help a family member with a problem and wonder if anyone has thoughts on this: He has a Hopper 3 and a 52.0 remote. Last night he had to power down the Hopper in order to move it to a new shelf. Upon powering it back up, it works fine -- except that the remote no longer will control it. He said that while the Hopper was powered down, the remote was occasionally beeping. He's technically savvy and tried everything he knows but is not having any luck. Any ideas for things he can try?

I'm trying to help a family member with a problem and wonder if anyone has thoughts on this: He has a Hopper 3 and a 52.0 remote. Last night he had to power down the Hopper in order to move it to a new shelf. Upon powering it back up, it works fine -- except that the remote no longer will control it. He said that while the Hopper was powered down, the remote was occasionally beeping. He's technically savvy and tried everything he knows but is not having any luck. Any ideas for things he can try?
Sounds like he removed the antenna. If I had a nickel for every time a customer moves things around and can't hook it back up, I'd be rich.

Thanks for the replies. The antenna is intact — I just had him remove and reinstall it in case there was a poor connection. Didn’t help. On the Sys Info screen, the remote doesn’t show up, and won’t pair. At this point, he’s thinking he may need to try a new remote.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks for the replies. The antenna is intact — I just had him remove and reinstall it in case there was a poor connection. Didn’t help. On the Sys Info screen, the remote doesn’t show up, and won’t pair. At this point, he’s thinking he may need to try a new remote.
Hold down the SAT button on the side until the SAT light blinks at the top of the remote. Then hold down HOME and GUIDE until the remote beeps. After it beeps, remove the batteries and reinstall them. Then press SYS INFO button on front of Hopper to get the Dish Diagnostic page. Press SAT side button to link. Remote should beep. Sometimes I have to do it a couple times. Once paired, a message should come up to update the remote firmware. Hit OK.

Hold down the SAT button on the side until the SAT light blinks at the top of the remote. Then hold down HOME and GUIDE until the remote beeps. After it beeps, remove the batteries and reinstall them. Then press SYS INFO button on front of Hopper to get the Dish Diagnostic page. Press SAT side button to link. Remote should beep. Sometimes I have to do it a couple times. Once paired, a message should come up to update the remote firmware. Hit OK.
I've had some remotes take up to about 10 seconds to pair/beep after pressing the SAT side button. Give it a little time.

He told me just now: “The SAT light never blinks. Lights steadily when you push or hold the button, and that’s it.”
Maybe it doesn't blink... I think it stays lit. That's when you hold HOME and GUIDE. After 20-some years with all the different remotes.... it's hard to remember everything without a remote in my hand. It happens all the time when you're installing. There's always one remote (at least) that won't pair or program or whatever out-of-the-box. You just have to keep messing with it until it works. It's rare that I'll toss a remote for a different one. You know... it's Dish.

Maybe it doesn't blink... I think it stays lit. That's when you hold HOME and GUIDE. After 20-some years with all the different remotes.... it's hard to remember everything without a remote in my hand. It happens all the time when you're installing. There's always one remote (at least) that won't pair or program or whatever out-of-the-box. You just have to keep messing with it until it works. It's rare that I'll toss a remote for a different one. You know... it's Dish.
Thanks. I’ll let him know to keep at it, though he’s become convinced it’s dead.