522/322 Installation

Lightfoot

Original poster
Aug 11, 2004
Arizona
I am sure it varies by installer, but what kind of installation did some of you get? I installed my own DirectTV dish but I will probably take advantage of the free "standard professional installation". It says 120 ft of cable in the documentation. This is probably not enough for my setup, even from the dish to the receivers. Should I run some cables the way I want them run and leave them where the installer can connect? Should I plan on buying my own wall plates?

I may not want them to touch any existing setup in case I go back to DirectTV. If I stay with DISH I will use that wiring as the output to other rooms. Any input would be appreciated...

Be careful of the "free" installation. When I got E* I also took advantage of the "free" install even though I had installed many D* systems myself. Anyway, long story short, I got a 522 and hate it. E* is a noncontract company, so I thought great, I'll drop E* and go to D*. Nope, I look over the contract from the company I got the system from, and since I took advantage of the "free" installation, if I cancel within 1 year I have to pay them $240. Moral of the story....know how free, free really is before signing the contract!

Yes, I have seen other users who said they got "roped or doped" into a contract by the installer. I will be read before I sign. Thanks for the reminder.

Lightfoot said:
It says 120 ft of cable in the documentation. This is probably not enough for my setup, even from the dish to the receivers. (emphasis added)

I'd wait for Simon or one of the other members who are more knowledgeable about installs, but I think you could run into problems with runs that long. Perhaps you'll need something in there to amp the signal, so I would hold off on running cables if I were you.

Lightfoot said:
Should I plan on buying my own wall plates?

Yeah, if you want wall plates, I believe you'll have to supply your own. Some installers show up without tools, so I wouldn't count on them supplying the plates, LOL.

Lightfoot said:
I may not want them to touch any existing setup in case I go back to DirecTV.

You're on the right track there. Make them do the Dish cables from scratch. If you do go back to DirecTV (or cable), you'll probably have a much easier time if the cables haven't been moved/altered to accommodate the Dish install.

Don't worry, someone will be along soon that will know exactly what to do. :)

As far as the length of the runs -- I am asumming the worst case, that they only include 120 total feet of cable, or an average of 30 feet for each of the 4 connections.

Well, DishPro is spec'd for a max of 200' from dish to receiver, and Legacy is either 100' or 125' - I forget which. That's per run, not total of all runs. In any event, 100' is a long haul, and pretty unusual. My own Legacy setup is from one end of the house to the other (so I can clear trees) and that's still less than 80' (65' long house).

As for wall plates, a DECENT installer should have them - along with rings to properly mount them. However, you best have what you want ready and in hand. The installer should be willing to mount them correctly if you supply the stuff.

And the only way I'd use existing cable is if it's the right kind, and I don't have to hack it up. In other words, if you've got a nice clean run from near the dish to the receivers, why not reuse it. If you want to switch a receiver back, just head out to the "dish farm" and move it back - no problem and it saves YOU extra holes in the wall, etc.

Finally - you need to be there while the install is going on to make sure it's done the way you want it. I never install without discussing the details with the customer. :)

Thanks for the input -- I do plan on having to cut and reconnect the existing cable for may future plans. If I decide to have DISH installed I will plan the installation and return the materials I don't need. I just could not imagine the installer doing much considering they are probably not getting compensated very much. I can look around my neighborhood and see cables run across the top of roofs to get to the living room.

Thanks again

The bigger the retailer, the less likely you'll get caught with a dealer contract on a DHA install (as happened to ibleedblue). However, you should always ask; RadioShack's current DHA brochure does contain the language, "Participating retailers may require additional terms and conditions", though nothing in it suggests RadioShack itself requires a contract. I've never seen any brochures from Sears, E*'s other big nationwide retailer.

I can tell you from my experience that SBC Dish is truly "no commitment"; I only signed SBC Dish forms, even though a local dealer did the actual install (probably by contract with SBC and/or DNSC). But that's probably because SBC, not E*, owns its customers; besides, the only SBC Dish offer is DHA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)