522 and the power button

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

video62

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
It just occured to me... what does the power button do on the secondary (i.e. UHF) remote? It would be kind of bad for user #2 (presumably in another room, distant from the actual box) to be able to power the box off :x while user #1 was actively watching/using the box.

Sounds like something that should be a setup item in a setup menu somewhere.

Yea, I know we won't have the answer to this for a while since the 522s are not available to anyone yet.

This same concern would go for a model 322 receiver as well.

What if 2 people are trying to access the hard drive or the guide at the same time? Would the guide or hard drive load slower?

Well, ideally what it should do is, if the first tuner is not in use, then it should turn off the 522. If it is, then it'd just turn off the modulator like Scott said. Same thing for the other way around.

Ace said:
What if 2 people are trying to access the hard drive or the guide at the same time? Would the guide or hard drive load slower?

Well, yes, but only slightly slower... it shouldn't be enough to make anyone say "geez, I wish this thing would hurry up".

In fact, depending on how the software is written, the second person may get the guide quicker - if the guide data needed is now in memory (read fresh from the hard drive) and the second user gets their guide data from there.

In normal use, with two users watching live TV there will be two streams written to the hard drive, so I certainly hope the hard drive can keep up!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)