522 Closed Captioning Fix?

Dodge Ram Nut

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 29, 2005
Mizzourah
Hi there. I've been lurking here for quite a while, but enjoying and reading
up on all aspects of Dish. I have a question. I just recently upgraded to
522. It's magnificent in all respects. :bow :clap I have 501...301..3900 and now the
522 combined.
I noticed that when I watch local channels on the 522..my closed captioning screws up and almost never correctly captions the local channels. As far as the other channels..it comes out just fine, so FAR. I've tried this with 4 different tv's and they all come out the same, jumbled captioning. My 501...301..and 3900 poses no problem and have never had any problem until the 522. Could it be the compression rate/video is streaming too fast?? Any ideas?? If I cant resolve this..I'm returning the 522 and go back to my original setup. Whats the point of watchin tv if you dont have closed captioning? Thanks in advance. :wave

Never use closed captioning personally. But I don't have any hearing issues. My Dad uses it all the time.

I'd report the issues to Dish. If the 501 doesn't show the problem, then it's not an issue with the local feeds. Instead it's an issue with the receiver.

I just switched from Comcast to Dish Network Feb 10, 2005.
Generally VERY pleased!
My 522 quit sending the closed caption signal to my TV's 2 times already. Took quite a while on the phone to come up with a fix--press the 522 power button in for about 10 seconds. That will "reset" the unit.
I lost CC on both recorded and live programs. The reset fixed it both times.
Now I need to find a permanent solution!
P.S. Quite a challenge on the second call to Dish Tech convincing them it was NOT the TV's fault! But even then he was NO help! And he pointed out if the 522 unit does need replaced, I must pay SHIPPING AND HANDLING. I said I don't think so, I can switch back to Comcast or got to DirectTV.

Reset?

Does the Reset have any other effects? I.e. does it lose any settings or timers you've programmed, etc.? Is this the same as the menu option to restore factory defaults?
So far I've just unplugged the unit for a second or 2 to get my subtitles back.

I think Mitsch meant "reboot". Holding in the power button does a soft reboot of the system, the same as rebooting your PC. You won't lose any settings or recordings but it does clean up the memory and can help resolve some problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)