522...confused now, did I miss something?

peteranton

Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
....I just got the 522, and according to DISH, I can NOT record a program and watch live TV on the same TV. Then, I was told with 522's two tuners that one goes with TV1, and other to TV2.

What! I thought the whole point was that I could watch/record on the same TV with the two tuners, and the second TV was just "mirrored" with the 522...meaning that any content on the hard-drive (or live TV) was accessible.

So my question is: why can't the 522, with two tuners, watch and record the same time on the same TV (of course, not involving the TV2...it's turned off for this question)?

This question really belongs in the PVR forum, and I am sure someone will move it. Beyond that, this goes back to single mode not being available on the 522 right now. It cannot do this right now. There is plenty more about it in the other forum. HTH...

Theoretically you could do this if you ran the Tuner 2 output to the same TV you have Tuner 1 hooked to. Then you could watch Tuner 1 on the Video input and Tuner 2 on the Coax input. This woud require both remotes in the room to work though.

yea, this is dumb. Perhaps it's just missed in the software. But this gives the 522 a different purpose then the 721.

Since the 522 software came from the 721 we might have to think the feature was removed on purpose.

The 522 is marketed as a DHA receiver for hooking up 2 TVs with 1 fee. It's not (currently) marketed as a replacment for the high-end+high $$$ 721.

Perhaps this will change when they run out of 721s (or build enough 522's) to meet demand.

This may also be why they're giving non DHA e-bay 522 purchasers a hard time. They don't want the receiver used in that manner - they want you to buy a 721 (if you can find one).

This is yet another annoyance of E* decision to keep all receiver development in-house (and yet another reason to switch to DTV).

Yes...David..

It is dumb. So...this issue should be included with the "single mode" asterisk on the Features info on the 522 (thought that was only for PIP)? One tuner for the live stuff, one tuner for the dvr.....how simple could that be?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts