522 Digital Audio Output

strrlvr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 12, 2004
Dallas, TX
I'm running Digital Audio out of my 522 and into a standard Samsung HTS/DVD. On some channels I'm experiencing lip synch problems. Primarily channels like USA, HGTV, and the Travel channel. When I use the analog audio, the lip synch problems are 86'd.

Samsung tells me that this is not their issue, and the digital audio must be corrupt from the reciever or from the Satellite. How can this be? Any others that have had issues with HTS and digital outputs from the 522?

Have you verified with the TV's speakers while also listening to the digital audio through your audio receiver? If the sounds match up (whether in sync with video or not), then it's definitely not your audio receiver. If you hear an echo or "metal tunnel" effect, there is indeed a problem. Most likely the problem would be in your audio receiver. My 522 going into my Sony STR-DExxx or into my PC doesn't produce any out-of-sync problems. But if I get a chance I'll verify tonight on the channels you listed.

Also, how's the digital audio from other sources (like a DVD player or PC)?

Have you tried holding the 522 end of the optical cable higher than the audio receiver's end, so the signal travels through it faster to catch up? :p ;)

TuxCoder said:
Have you tried holding the 522 end of the optical cable higher than the audio receiver's end, so the signal travels through it faster to catch up? :p ;)
I took my optical cable in for lasic surgery and I still get audio sync. problems. :D :D

522 digital audio out is pretty much broken

From my experience (522 connected to a DD receiver via optical connection), the digital audio out function on the receiver is pretty badly broken. Dish acknowledge that there are problems in this area but have still not been able to provide a fix (unless it's fixed in this week's download - I can't check since my receiver HD died 2 days after the download and I am waiting for a replacement).

In addition to audio/video sync problems, I also experience frequent (once or twice a minute?) dropouts. When sending PCM to the receiver, this causes an annoying click. When sending DD, the receiver loses sync for a few seconds and all audio stops making it pretty hopeless when watching a movie. The dropout problems only seem to occur when playing back recorded programs - DD sent from programs watched live is fine.

Regards,

Dave Wilson

In RE: to Mr. Dave Wilson

Do you experience Audio Dropouts on certain channels or on every channel?

I've decided I'm not experiencing the problem with DVD's so it' definently coming from the 522, but what's so confusing is it's not on all channels. It's only on a certain few.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)