522 DVR vs Dish Pass

Fert

Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
I have noticed something strange with the 522 and how it deals with recording things.

First for some background here is my basic set up. I have my 522 set up in dual mode with Record Plus set so that it prefers TV2. I do the majority of my watching on TV1, though I never seem to watch live TV...no time...too much already recorded.

I noticed that sometimes when I was looking at the schedule of things that were to be recorded that some things were skipped when TV1 is still available at the time. Through trial and error I finally figured out the problem. It seems that if the item were scheduled by way of a Dish Pass rather than choosing an episode and scheduling all episodes it will only record on the TV2 and never TV1, but by recording all episodes via DVR it freely switches to TV1 if needed.

So, here I sit, posting this message, taking a break from searching out every channel that runs Family Guy and King of the Hill and my other 25 dish passes and converting them over to DVR events.

Take Care,
Michael

There are two different ways to get all episodes of a program. When the 522 is in dual mode, if you create a timer for all episodes, it will record all episodes on a single channel. If you have record plus preferences set to TV2 and nothing is on TV2 for the first instance of the timer, ALL episodes will want to be recorded on TV2. Conflict resolution is limited to whatever tuner the timer was originally set for, regardless of whether the other tuner is idle.

When recording any other instance of the program, if there is a higher priority program to record on TV2, the program will be skipped, even if TV1 is idle. The only way to fix this using timers is to delete the timer and re-create it. It will then go to TV1. and the same thing will occur if there is a conflict.

On the other hand, if you create a Dish Pass for the program, it will schedule all episodes of the program on whatever tuner is available, by the episode. Sometimes it will record on TV1 and sometimes it will record on TV2.

You can limit the Dish Pass to a single channel or it can look at listing for all received channels. You cannot limit it to only episodes produced in the current year, like you can for a timer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts