522 Fix released?

steve4810

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 27, 2006
Found this in the general Dish Network forum:

I just checked and now have version L4.13 and things seem to have been fixed....will wait and see...they also changed some menus.

Has anyone else gotten 413?

Any solid info about it's existence?

Educated guesses about rollout plans or dates?

steve4810

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 27, 2006
Since no one has chimed in with reports of a new L4.13 and the message was the first from a new forum member, just maybe this is a feeble attempt at a joke at our(my) expense.

If so, I apologize. If not, where are the others with the 522 fix?

SteveC

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 10, 2004
I've had 4.13 for a couple of days. As far as I've noticed, all the problems intoduced with 4.11 are resolved. They have also added a 'dish on demand' menu, which comes up when you press the DVR button. Quite annoying IMHO, because I have no interest in PPV. My free PPV coupons went unused.

Steve

copmannd

Nov 30, 2006
I accept

Since no one has chimed in with reports of a new L4.13 and the message was the first from a new forum member, just maybe this is a feeble attempt at a joke at our(my) expense.

If so, I apologize. If not, where are the others with the 522 fix?

Indeed, that was my first post to this forum. My only crime seems to be that I was one of the first to get 4.13 into my 522, but am not sorry about that. :)

In any case, the L4.13 that showed up on my receiver several days ago seems to make the thing work better than when it was new.:up

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
FWIW, Dish PPV and Dish On Demand are two different things. I don't know if PPV coupons would work for 'on demand' stuff or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

steve4810

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 27, 2006
I've had 4.13 for a couple of days. As far as I've noticed, all the problems intoduced with 4.11 are resolved. They have also added a 'dish on demand' menu, which comes up when you press the DVR button. Quite annoying IMHO, because I have no interest in PPV. My free PPV coupons went unused.

Steve

That Dish On Demand "feature" definitely isn't something I'm looking forward to. I wonder if there is a way to delete the stuff and reclaim the space for DVRing.

Also for the 413ers: Is there an addition to the themes and search feature? Two tech talks ago when they discussed this "upgrade" it included a modifying search feature that let you look for just action or comedy movies, or whatever with specific stars.

I remember that and the DOD were the most striking things mentioned.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
No. There is no way for the customer to dump VOD and use the space as an enlarged DVR.

steve4810

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 27, 2006
No. There is no way for the customer to dump VOD and use the space as an enlarged DVR.

So maybe if I record 99% of disk, the VOD won't have room to put itself on there. Then when I want a real show recorded I just free up room for it.

Or maybe I just protect the real stuff so it deletes the bogus stuff to make room using the regular priority system.

Oops! You don't suppose E* heard that do you? Damn! Now they will just delete whatever they like and dump their crap onto my drive anyway.

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
So maybe if I record 99% of disk, the VOD won't have room to put itself on there. Then when I want a real show recorded I just free up room for it.

Or maybe I just protect the real stuff so it deletes the bogus stuff to make room using the regular priority system.
Search Google for "hard drive partition". The space that you record stuff to is one partition. The space that VOD goes in is another partition. You have NO access to that VOD partition. Marking your programs to not be deleted or filling your HDD won't stop the VOD stuff from coming down.

steve4810

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 27, 2006
... The space that you record stuff to is one partition. The space that VOD goes in is another partition...

So you're saying the 522 shipped with a partition for VOD?

Those crafty bastards!

I wonder how much of our disks are being wasted for this additional revenue opportunity of Charlie's?

Us 522 folk are not hurting for space so much as the 622 folk who can easily fill their accessible partitions with HD material long before they get everything they want.

Those cheap crafty bastards!

navychop

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
They reserved space on the 5xx series for this purpose, long before they ever used it. It's how the product is sold. You buy a magazine, it's full of ads- you don't get to buy it without ads and most of the publisher's income comes from ads. Newspaper subscriptions barely (and sometimes don't) cover the cost of ink and paper.

Sorry this is news to you. I don't think any of us are happy about it, but that's the way it is. They provide the unit and list the approximate recording time available to you, so you are getting what you expect. The VOD is "extra." Most of us would prefer the added recording time, but we did in fact get what we paid for and expected, just not a lot more. I think about half the disk is reserved for this use.

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
So you're saying the 522 shipped with a partition for VOD?
Apparently so, as did the 501, 508, and so on. I knew the 625 did, as they've claimed VOD support all along, but didn't know about the others.

Point is, the boxes are, on average, good for storing the rated # of hours that they advertise.

navychop

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Actually, I thought the diff between 522 & 625 WAS VOD. Is the OP saying he already has VOD on the 522, or that he is afraid they will add it?

steve4810

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 27, 2006
They reserved space on the 5xx series for this purpose, long before they ever used it. It's how the product is sold. You buy a magazine, it's full of ads- you don't get to buy it without ads and most of the publisher's income comes from ads. Newspaper subscriptions barely (and sometimes don't) cover the cost of ink and paper.

Sorry but I'm not ready to take up a collection for Charlie and Jim yet.

Last year they netted 1.514 gigabucks on sales of 8.425 gigs.

Sorry this is news to you. I don't think any of us are happy about it, but that's the way it is...

Actually I never cease being amazed at the greed of some or the williness of the rest to accept it without complaint.

navychop

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
They have been very clear about the product. They clearly state what amount of storage you have on it. You got what you paid for. It just annoys (me too) that we could have had more, save for this feature. But we have actually LOST nothing.

Now- are you saying you have VOD on a 522 NOW, or that you are concerned they are about to add it? Or something else.

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
Apparently a recent s/w update has added VOD to the 522. I had a 522 when it first came out and any plans for VOD on it were never mentioned. The 625 came out a year or so later. It had a larger hard drive in it, yet it had the same amount of available space for customer's recordings. The difference in HDD space was .... for VOD.

steve4810

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 27, 2006
Now- are you saying you have VOD on a 522 NOW, or that you are concerned they are about to add it? Or something else.

As Hall said, postings indicate that those few who have been downloaded L4.13 have VOD added to their 522. I haven't been "upgraded" yet and so have no first hand knowledge.

Two Tech Talks ago E* programmers previewed the new features "coming soon" on all the current DVR models and they included VOD and modifying theme search perimeters. They had screen shots and I know the list of receivers included 522 and 622. There were more models but those are the only ones I was interested in because I have the former and plan to get the later (hence the squawks about HD storage. I have filled the 522 with SD material and will be cranky if I know half the 622's drive is reserved so E* can try and sell me movies I don't want)

The single bit of good news is that there are reports that 413 settles all the 522 instability issues introduced by 412.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)