522 Instability/Crashing/Reboots

Getut

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
My 522 has gone haywire. It locks up at any time doing nearly anything. In other words no one thing is causing the problems. In fact I have even heard it reboot in the middle of the night when both receivers were off.

It seems to have started about a week or two ago. Has there been a firmware update for the 522's that is causing this? It does hard drive checks after each crash and never finds anything wrong. And it isn't power. I've had my rig on a power conditioning UPS ever since losing my first 522 due to bad power.

Continually rebooting them running a hard disk diagnostics? Have you performed a hard reset on the receiver? If so, has it fixed the issue?

Your not the only one having issues. We have a 522 receiver at my house having issues (I just got it as a replacement to another one having issues picking up all satellites). It is rebooting every so often for the past few weeks. I also have a customer with a 522 that is locking up and it has gotten worse since it started. It has been doing it for less than a week. I loaned him one of my spares in which I bought off of someone off of this site earlier this year so that he could have a stable 522 while he watches his prerecorded shows off of the other DVR until he gets them watched before having Dish replace it. I was there when it locked up then it unlocked then doing a DVR function made it lock up again. He said that it would sometimes unlock itself. It has to be rebooted when it locks up. He said that it would click before it would lock up sometimes. I heard it click some before it locked up. If it was a bad hard drive then I wouldn't think that it would lock up, just lose DVR functions, but maybe I am wrong about that.

Mine have been acting flakey too, crashing, and skip back sometimes means start over... sometimes start show causes grey screen. with nothing then skip ahead either works or crashes the box.

My first 522 got to rebooting more than once a day in addition the the other instability issues of skipping to the end and not being able to start recorded shows. Dish set me a refurbed replacement on my first support call.

Now the new one (two weeks old) is not doing too well either. It's major problem is that when I select a recorded program I get a black screen and pressing play, skip forward 30, fast forward, pause then play, do a lot of things but usually not get it started.

The one thing that has been working is that when the black screen shows up, I press stop and on the standard screen that appears, I select "Start Over" and it usually works OK.

Anybody have any insight as to what is going on?

My experience in widespread onset of problems with computerized systems leads me to believe that either the last software update is faulty OR that it exposes a fault in the reciever that was only enabled by the latest version of software.

Please: Any insight? Help?. Educated guesses? Anything?

By the way when it first came 411 was the software version that downloaded on installation. Now I see it is up to 412.

Steve

Mine have been acting flakey too, crashing, and skip back sometimes means start over... sometimes start show causes grey screen. with nothing then skip ahead either works or crashes the box.

I have seen the spontaneous reboots. Also, when starting to watch a program, I get black screen. When I click the 30-second skip button, the program starts about 5 minutes into it.

I am at version 4.12. I haven't been a lot of attention to it lately, but it seems as though this number is a lot higher than it used to be.

More improvements :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)