522 Install Help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Vikster

Original poster
Feb 21, 2005
I know this topic has been covered in past threads but I've looked through them and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I apologize in advance for any redundancy.

I am looking to get a 522 to run in single mode, as an upgrade to my current 501. Before I crawl under the house and snake a new cable through the crawl space and walls I wanted to make sure that I wasn't over looking another solution.

My current setup is a Dish 500 Dual LNB feeding a DP34 switch which feeds three TV's; 2 301's and 1 501.

As I see it, the only way to get a second signal to my 522 is to run another cable or swap out the DP34 for a DPP44 and use a DPP Separator.

So I need to decide if running a new cable is worth the $200 it would cost to buy a DPP44.

Does this sound right??? Also, is there anyway to get Dish to help cover some of the cost, what exactly do you get for the $50 installer charge?

Yes, it would cost you a big sum of money for the DPP44 but you may be able to find one cheaper on eBay and also sell your DP34 so that the cost different is not much.

I would suggest you to just run another cable from the DP34 which would be a lot cheaper. You can buy RG-6 2.2 GHZ (2200 MHZ) wire with the coax connectors on each end and buy them from your local retailer or from a place that sells electronics such as Radio Shack or Wal-Mart. I am assuming that your wanting to purchase a 522 off of eBay instead of getting the Dish'n It Up promotion.

Your Dish500 likely has a DP Twin (not Dual).

Get a DP21, connect it to the DP34's satellite pass-through ports. Move one of the existing receivers to the DP21, connect the 522 to 2 outputs of the DP34.

Keep in mind that if you do this you will only get the two of the three satellites that you connect into the DP21. Just follow straight across on the left side where the satellite inputs are going into the DP34 switch to the right side to know what satellites you are hooking up into the DP21.

By the way, I overlooked where you had three tuners which would mean that you wouldn't have enough hookups for the 522. You do not even need a DP21 if you can get by with only one satellite (or until you get a DP21) by just hooking up the wire into the selected satellite at the DP34 switch(preferrably 119 that has most of the channels) and into the single tuner receiver (501) at the other end.

You don't need a DP21 at all.

Your DP34 switch has 4 outputs... meaning you can connect up to 4 tuners... one 522 and two 301s.

Just run a cable from the unused port on the 34 switch to your 522 location. That's it.

Cleve Dean said:

Your DP34 switch has 4 outputs... meaning you can connect up to 4 tuners... one 522 and two 301s.

Just run a cable from the unused port on the 34 switch to your 522 location. That's it.

This is what I was getting ready to post.

They are making it harder than it is. It's quite simple.

Thanks for the advice. Since the cable run from my DP34 to where I want to put my 522 is long and will require pulling cable through a couple of walls and my crawl space I'm trying to decide what's the better option, get a DPP44 or pull 200+ feet of coax.

My current thought is to keep an eye on ebay for a DPP44 and see if something comes up at a price that makes sense.

The other idea that was mentioned is to use a DP21. I'm only getting two satellites so that shouldn't be a problem but I'm a little confused. How can I tell if I have my Dish 500 has a Dual LNB and not a twin and will work with a DP21? Also, how exactly would the wiring go? (2 coax out of the dish into the 1 and 2 input ports of the DP34, 1 and 2 output ports of the DP34 feed my two 301 receivers. The pass through ports 1 and 2 of the DP34 feed the two inputs of the DP21 and the output of the DP21 feeds the 522 via one coax which gets separated before it reaches the 522 via a DPP Separator and now I have two coax to feed both inputs of my 522. I think I confused myself... does that sound right?)

A Twin has one wide housing and two eyes. A Dish 500 used for it's intended purpose would NEVER have a Dual (or the necessary pair of them to receive both birds).

I'm worried about you talking about 200' of feed cable - that's pretty much the limit for DishPro.

You were doing fine with your DP21 thoughts - except there's NO way it would work with a 522. x2x boxes always requirie two identical inputs. A DPP Sep. will only work with DPPlus LNBFs/Switches - NOT a DP21 or DP34.

Hooking a DP21 to the cascade ports lets you feed a single-tuner receiver only.

Cleve Dean said:

You forgot the 501 in the mix. Your looking at two 301's and the 501 taking up three of the four ports on the DP-34 switch leaving you short one port when the 522 requires two ports. If one of those receivers is taken out of the mix then that resolves the problem. The 301 or 501 (I would pick one of the 301's) would only have one satellite slot without a DP21 switch or two satellites slots with the DP21 switch. You could buy a DP34 switch and cascade with the DP34 you have now. You can get them for $25-50 on eBay.

Here is a link for a used one on eBay for $25 shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67885&item=5754163726&rd=1
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _
Here are two links for a new one for $45 shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67885&item=5753503802&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32846&item=5753955528&rd=1

That would solve your problem with not getting all the satellites to one of the receivers.

If you're going to retire a receiver, and therefore already have enough ports on your existing switch, I'd say go ahead and run the extra cable. I know it's a pain to do, but coax cable is cheap, reliable, universally compatible and won't become obsolete anytime soon like switches, diplexors and separators could. And it sounds like you can do the labor yourself. Dual cables only require about half the bandwith of stacking with a separator, so even if you need to go 200' it shouldn't be a problem with quality cable.

And if you add two cables instead of one while you're at it, you'll have the option of distributing the 522's TV2 (and/or TV1) to the other TVs as well, without using extra diplexors, etc. Even with the additional receivers, you can then watch any of your DVR recordings on any other TV. And if you seldom use both 522 tuners at the same time, you may find that you can retire one or more of your other receivers, and save the fees.

AZCoronaDog said:
Dual cables only require about half the bandwith of stacking with a separator, ...
There's actually the same amount of band stacking going on, the difference is what gets stacked. A DishPro LNB stacks the even transponders on a higher frequency range and sends both to the receiver. With a DP Plus switch and the DP Separator, a dual tuner receiver can tell the switch to put any set of odd or even transponders from any of the connected satellites onto the high and low range.

You can not buy a 522 receiver off of Ebay. Dish will not activate it. The 522 is for lease only. I have asked many times trust me Dish will not activate a 522 bought off EBAY.

You need to do a little research...Dish WILL activate a NEW 522 purchased off ebay. I should know, I've got two of them.

You have to email ceo@dishnetwork.com with your account information (name, address, phone number, account number) and the receiver number or buy a brand new one and they will activate it for you at that email address.

Then you wanna tell me what opp you got to do it because I can not get anyone at Dish to allow it. Everytime I call and ask they want the receiver ID so they can find out where it is. I have called the executive office and they will not allow it, so how did you do it. Who do you know?

Dave nye said:
Then you wanna tell me what opp you got to do it because I can not get anyone at Dish to allow it. Everytime I call and ask they want the receiver ID so they can find out where it is. I have called the executive office and they will not allow it, so how did you do it. Who do you know?
Read his post again. Send an email to ceo@dishnetwork.com with the revelent information. If your recevier is a stolen lease receiver or a balance, that would present a problem...your's for not checking to make sure the receiver was clean.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)