522 Installation

Dodge Ram Nut

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 29, 2005
Mizzourah
Hey there folks! :D I've been a loyal Dish sub for almost 6 years. Started out with the 2700 model and have eventually worked my way up to (1) of each: 501 in Living room, 301 in MBR and a 3900 at the lakehouse with it's own dish.
Been watching this magnificient website for quite a while now. Guess it's time for me to start posting questions and being helpful(?) :yes
I have a question that I think needs to be cleared up for me. I read in a thread that when the 522 undergoes it's installation download..it will check to see if there is a land-line phone. I personally don't have a land based phone cuz all of my phone needs is achieved over the internet to make a long story short. I am not fixing to put back in land based phone lines in my near future. Is there a work-around that I could do? My folks have Dish as well. I'm also fixing to call Dish up and get the 522 through lease agreements since I'm blowing money on buying equipment that will be a thing of the past in a month or two. Thanks for all your help! :clap

Dodge Ram Nut said:
I have a question that I think needs to be cleared up for me. I read in a thread that when the 522 undergoes it's installation download..it will check to see if there is a land-line phone. I personally don't have a land based phone cuz all of my phone needs is achieved over the internet to make a long story short. I am not fixing to put back in land based phone lines in my near future. Is there a work-around that I could do? My folks have Dish as well. I'm also fixing to call Dish up and get the 522 through lease agreements since I'm blowing money on buying equipment that will be a thing of the past in a month or two. Thanks for all your help! :clap

If the rule on the 522 is anything like the 2 322s I have (and I believe it is), then if you don't maintain the land line, they charge you an extra $5/month for the second connection. I'm not familiar with the older models but the 322/522 are dual connection receivers and provide 2 outputs (so 2 devices can have their own channel) and two remotes. In the past a second connection cost you an extra $5/mo. With 2 322s, I have 4 connections and pay only one $5 charge. However, the rule is that the land line must always be connected.

Dish told me when I had it installed that if the connection was not kept, they would charge me the extra $5 for that month. I asked what would happen if we lost phone service for a period and she said to just call them and let them know and they would remove the charge.

When I first got the receivers, there were 3 phone connections (phone, computer, receiver) connected to one jack with a kludge of adapters. In the process of working on it, I accidentally disconnected the receiver. A warning message popped up once but I missed its meaning as I thought I had reconnected it. Because the #1 port was connected to my DVD recorder (#2 is connected to my TV), I missed seeing any more messages. After about 48 hours, I made a permanent fix to the wire jumble and realized what I had done. There was no extra charge that I have seen on my bill.

John

When you say you use the internet in the place of the phone are you referring to e-mail, instant messaging, etc. for communication or a VoIP service such as Vonage? If it's the latter then you can usually get the 522 to work with Vonage's phone service but otherwise you'll have to pay the monthly fee for not having a phone line hooked up.

The fact is that the DISH 322s and 522s check for a dial tone before authorization and display the warning screen if it is not present. If the dial tone is lost you will start getting a nag screen after activation.

The work-around is to connect the receiver to a dial-tone generator you can probably purchase online or at a local electronics store.

Of course, not having an actual landline you won't have access to the interactive features, remote-ordered PPVs, Caller ID onscreen, etc. you don't have now.

Actually..to make a long story short..I am hard of hearing to deaf. I require the use of a phone relay system, and/or video relay system. I don't need the services of a land-based phone since I am only duplicating services from land-based phone to internet services that is just like a land-based phone. It is not voip. Just services on the web. Can't use the phone itself. For those of you that do not know what a relay system is: Caller A calls the relay ctr (operator) through either video or text machine. Relay ctr then gets number Caller A wants to call. Relay ctr calls Caller B and then a phone call is "made" with caller B talking directly to the Relay optr who is typing/signing what Caller B is saying to Caller A and then vice versa back to caller B.
Now..I really do not mind paying the extra 5 dollar fee for no phone line connection. Does this mean I will be paying $5 dollar no dial connection, plus $5 rental fee?
My original question is this: during the 522 original software download after you first open..hook up the 522 and activate it..you know the message that says "do not turn off..change..etc etc reciever until software is done"...does it ask for a dial tone? If it does, and 1 is not present..what happens thereafter?

You will have to call DISH and have a CSR add the $4.99 additional outlet fee to your account and activate the receiver before the phone line test screen will go away. Once they add the code, you will start receiving programming right away.

Dodge Ram Nut said:
My original question is this: during the 522 original software download after you first open..hook up the 522 and activate it..you know the message that says "do not turn off..change..etc etc reciever until software is done"...does it ask for a dial tone? If it does, and 1 is not present..what happens thereafter?
You cannot continue without a dialtone.

Hmm...one says I can not continue without a dial tone at the initial startup...and another says all I have to do is call CSR and have them activate the rx. I'm just trying to make sure that I can do this before having the tech installer come out and say "no can do". Do I need the dial tone ABSOLUTELY at startup/first software download? Can I get away with it just by not hooking the 522 up until after the CSR sends the code or activates the rx, and then hook up afterwards to do away with the dial tone startup check?

The receiver will download the initial software, and then re-boot. Once it comes back on, it will pop up with a Phone Line Test. It will not go further without a)hooking it up to a working phone line, or b)calling DISH and having a CSR activate it AND add the special code for it not to look for a phone connection (which adds the $4.99 a/o fee to your account).

We have several customers who use only cellular service in their homes, or who do not have a phone line anywhere near their TV's. We have had no problems getting the receivers to bypass the phone connection test once the a/o code has been added to the account. Those customers who don't have a phone jack close to the TV, can later run a line to the receiver, and then call DISH to have the $4.99 a/o fee removed from the account from that day forward.

If you don't have a land based phone line, this is the only way I know to bypass the phone line test, and "nag" screens that pop up if the phone line is not disconnected.

Mainstreet -
Thank you for clarifying my question. I appreciate you explaining to me in detail how it will work. That is the answer I was looking for. Thanks once again for the answer. I will have the 522 come out then.
Now my next question is this - the $4.99 a/o fee...that is going to be in addition to the $5 dollar lease fee correct? Earlier in my thread, I stated I have 3 rx's on file. So, my 180 price...my local price...and my (current) rx price..I add $4.99 and $5.00 to my current price setup? Thank you for bearing with me. I can be such a klutz some times.

Dodge Ram Nut said:
Mainstreet -
Thank you for clarifying my question. I appreciate you explaining to me in detail how it will work. That is the answer I was looking for. Thanks once again for the answer. I will have the 522 come out then.
Now my next question is this - the $4.99 a/o fee...that is going to be in addition to the $5 dollar lease fee correct? Earlier in my thread, I stated I have 3 rx's on file. So, my 180 price...my local price...and my (current) rx price..I add $4.99 and $5.00 to my current price setup? Thank you for bearing with me. I can be such a klutz some times.

I am assuming that you intend to upgrade to the 522 under the Dish N It Up promo. In that case, you would pay DISH the upgrade fee when you order the receiver. Then, if you are adding it as your fourth receiver, (4th & 5th tuner) you will pay $5 to lease the receiver, and $4.99 for the additional tuner (TV2) without a phone connection.

Mainstreet-
:eureka FANTASTIC! :D Thanks for explaining to me about the price. My queston(s) was asked and answered. This clearly makes sense to me, and of what I was expecting to happen. I wanna thank you for helpin me out. Now, all I hafta do now is wait til the 1st to roll around and I'm-a-callin.

Cheers!

:D :D :D

Mainstreet said:
The receiver will download the initial software, and then re-boot. Once it comes back on, it will pop up with a Phone Line Test. It will not go further without a)hooking it up to a working phone line, or b)calling DISH and having a CSR activate it AND add the special code for it not to look for a phone connection (which adds the $4.99 a/o fee to your account).

We have several customers who use only cellular service in their homes, or who do not have a phone line anywhere near their TV's. We have had no problems getting the receivers to bypass the phone connection test once the a/o code has been added to the account. Those customers who don't have a phone jack close to the TV, can later run a line to the receiver, and then call DISH to have the $4.99 a/o fee removed from the account from that day forward.

If you don't have a land based phone line, this is the only way I know to bypass the phone line test, and "nag" screens that pop up if the phone line is not disconnected.

What is Charlie thinking? In a day when land lines are going away and Cable is stepping up to the plate with newer technology and better in some regards than Satellite to penalize me for not having a land line! Why do I stay with Dish!

kluken said:
What is Charlie thinking? In a day when land lines are going away and Cable is stepping up to the plate with newer technology and better in some regards than Satellite to penalize me for not having a land line! Why do I stay with Dish!

Not to defend Charlie but DISH is doing this to pervent "account stacking". "Account stacking" is where an account is set up and up to six receivers are added (at six different locations). Since DirecTV distributed their new (secure) smartcards they are having some trouble with "account stacking" according to someone I know. Some dealers are the ones doing this (the customer pays the dealer directly every month and they tell the customer to ONLY call them if there is a problem). I heard of one that got busted because the DirecTV customer called DirecTV directly and the CSR determined that "something was wrong" when the customer said that they only had one receiver and it was not at the location listed for the account. No one knows how much of this goes on but DISH is trying to stop it (by requiring a phone line) before it gets much worse.

The satellite companies need to come up with some other way to verify the location of the receiver. Land lines are going the way of black and white TV. In my area the local phone company said that the number of residential lines are going down by about four percent per year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts