522 - lost satellite signal on 2nd tv

Mauison

Original poster
May 30, 2005
On my second TV set, running off the UHF, I get the message screen saying that the satellite signal is lost, and signal acquisition is in progress. It's been on that screen for a couple of days now. My first TV that is connected directly to the 522 receiver is fine. Twice, I did a reboot by holding down the power button but that didn't help. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Do you have two input lines from the dish or are you using a separator? If it's with a separator, swap it out. If it's with two lines, swap the inputs and see if the problem follows the wire or stays with the tuner. If the problem moves you have something wrong with the line or lnb/switch. If it's stays on tuner 2 you may have a bad receiver.

First thing is to try swapping the two satellite inputs at the back of the receiver and see if the problem moves.

If not, it's a bad tuner in the receiver, and we're done - call for service.

If so, then backtrack towards the dish swapping stuff as you go, hoping to isolate the problem. If you find it great, otherwise, you need to tell us EXACTLY what your outside configuration is (Dishes, LNBFs, switches).

I swapped the satellite inputs on the back of the receiver and the problem DID move. So that means the receiver is fine?

As for switches and LNBF's, I'm not sure what those are. I think the Dishes are 500.

OK. So the receiver is fine. That's good. Most likely problem now is cable connectors.

If you know nothing about the gear, you've got a lot of reading to do, or call someone that knows.

As part of my keeping up on current info I read the posts in here regularly and saw your post yesterday.

Well, I just joined your predicament (sp?).

I run in single mode and noticed my PIP was not working. I did a switch test and found that input 1 was FUBAR. I did the cable swap and it still showed up as iinput 1 down.

I called Dish (yuck) and got a real schmageggy :cool: that helped out zero ... well, other than 1) he told me to hit the big red button during the "Point Dish" screen to force a software upgrade ... LOL (yes, I still have 2.35 for some reason) ... and no, it didn't work. And 2) at least he logged my call so when I called back 5 minutes later I was bumped to an English speaking tech who proceeded to set me up with a service call to have the 522 replaced this Saturday. (It's still under warranty) :rolleyes:

A tech finally came over to take a look and found that the problem was corrosion on some of the equipment outside. I think he said a switch outside and the LNBF were both corroded from all the rain we had in the past few months. He said the original installer didn't take the correct precautions, like sealing parts with silicone, for it to not corrode.

When I get the bill for the tech visit, I'm gonna call and get the charge reversed because why should I get charged for a mistake the original installer made?

Thanks for all the help!

Will Dish need to match DTV's free DVRs?

Waiver requests

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)