522 Post superbowl issue?

Jahntassa

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Alright, I'm really tired of this random stuff from the 522. I had it tape the superbowl, just so I could catch the commercials because I wasn't going to be getting home till 7. So, it records, no problems. I see the timers start for CSI while i'm watching the recording. Awesome.

I had set it to record the Simpsons and American Dad. And also set up a manual timer on FOX from 11-12, because I knew the Superbowl was running late. Okay, cool, i'll definitely get the Simpsons and American Dad.

NOT. It recorded the Superbowl, -said- it recorded 34 minutes of the Simpsons (which it didn't, it just starts to play and goes back to the DVR event screen), and NOTHING ELSE.

I have it set on Single mode, 61 hours free after the SUperbowl recording.

This box is so stupid.

Jahntassa said:
Alright, I'm really tired of this random stuff from the 522. I had it tape the superbowl, just so I could catch the commercials because I wasn't going to be getting home till 7. So, it records, no problems. I see the timers start for CSI while i'm watching the recording. Awesome.

I had set it to record the Simpsons and American Dad. And also set up a manual timer on FOX from 11-12, because I knew the Superbowl was running late. Okay, cool, i'll definitely get the Simpsons and American Dad.

NOT. It recorded the Superbowl, -said- it recorded 34 minutes of the Simpsons (which it didn't, it just starts to play and goes back to the DVR event screen), and NOTHING ELSE.

I have it set on Single mode, 61 hours free after the SUperbowl recording.

This box is so stupid.

The Simpsons started late (and the 522 is not divine so it does not know if a sporting event runs late) so that may be part of the problem.

DirtyMack said:
Wouldn't name based recording remedy that issue?

NO!! Name-based recording records all instances of a program based on the name. THE 522 IS NOT DIVINE. It has NO magic ability whatsoever to know whether a program ends late. It will automatically adjust for special episodes that are longer than normal (such as special 1.5 hour episodes) IF that information has been updated in the guide. The receiver is ONLY as accurate as the guide information provided to it. The guide information is normally obtained early each morning so no one (not me, you, FOX, the NFL, or the 522) knows the game will run late until it actually runs late. If the guide tells the 522 that the game will end at 9:30, that's all it knows. That's why you pad sporting events.

DirtyMack said:
Wouldn't name based recording remedy that issue?

Named based recording is based on the Program guide. If a sporting event that is carried live and there is no idea as to how late that event runs how in the world would NBR be able to solve the problem.

You should know that major sporting events are Prone to run long. Since this is the case you will always have to record extra time at the end of that game to be sure to catch the show you want.

The only way to solve this would be for the EPG to update at the moment at the very end of the game that which we don't know the ending time even if that was the case a EPG refresh would take about 3 minutes, so this is a catch 22 and will only be solved by YOUR resolve to be sure the show directly after is recorded at all or in its entireity.

The only other way to solve the problem would be to be able to predict the future. If you could do, a better use of that skill would be betting on the outcome of the event in question and not just to be able to catch the complete show afterward ;>)

John

Yep all he had to have done was pad the timer by an hour, takes 10 seconds to do, and the problem would not have occured.

You ALL are forgetting that for sports the NBR on the 522 automatically ADDS one hour to the end of the event.

n0qcu said:
You ALL are forgetting that for sports the NBR on the 522 automatically ADDS one hour to the end of the event.

yeah... but it doesnt fix the recording after it... i think the complaint was the simpsons...

I think they came on at like 11:20 or so...

ARGH!!! Come on people, pay attention.

He said: "It -said- it recorded 34 minutes of the Simpsons (which it didn't, it just starts to play and goes back to the DVR event screen), and NOTHING ELSE."

This OBVIOUSLY has nothing to do with name based recording or sporting events. This is a common 522 bug where you start to play something that's listed in the recordings, the screen goes black, and instantly takes you back to the DVR list.

I've had this happen many times. It shows that it recorded an hour-long program, but when you try to play it, you get less than a second of black screen and it takes you back to the DVR screen.

The original poster said it best: "This box is so stupid."

This software is garbage. When my contract is up I will go back to Comcast and never even think of Dish Network again. Nothing but problems with 522, bad software, and bad tech support.

i've had this same problem in the past. i haven't really tried to isolate the fix for it, but either wait until all recordings are done, or shut off the reciever, turn it back on, it should work. also, if you try it on one tv and it doesn't work, try it on the other. the show isn't lost, but it is a big annoyance.

And if you glanced over it, I set up a SECOND timer on the SECOND tuner for a manual recording from 11p-12a. So irregardless, that SHOULD've recorded, because the guide said it was using tuner 1 for the NBR of the Simpsons and American Dad, and tuner 2 for the manual recording. It recorded none of the Simpsons, though it thinks it did, and didn't even show American Dad or the manual recording at all. I know NBR wouldn't have helped, because it goes by the schedule downloaded from Dish, which would not have changed in time.

It's the fact that it ignored the manual timer that annoys me.

sorry, not my intent to hijack this post... but I can't seem to find anyone with my same issue after a search and a separate post of my own. This one was closest

Anyone else having issues with their NBR timer schedules disappearing after the nightly update?

The timer remains, but the schedule is completely gone. If you check the guide, it's sitting right their, but the timer no longer see's it.

snowie said:
Anyone else having issues with their NBR timer schedules disappearing after the nightly update?

The timer remains, but the schedule is completely gone. If you check the guide, it's sitting right their, but the timer no longer see's it.

Yep - I have that one on a regular basis. I have to check my recording schedule evey night to make sure something else hasn't been dropped.

Steve

Know of a fix for this one?

Tech support told me it would be fixed by software level 233 which it wasn't. They told me to call back in and they would create one of their, "Uncommon something or other reports" :D

I recorded the game on Tivo, I wanted to see the Simpsons too and wanted to keep it. Simpsons comes on at 11:15, guide said its something else. I told my D Tivo to make manual record from 11:15 to 12:15 but I'm already 10 min into the show trying to get DTV to get manual record. Once the time was set DirecTivo was smart enough to goback and Cut the show at 11:15 and ended my recording at 12:15 as I tell it to. I have the complete copy of simpsons in my tivo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)