522 & power for timers

IPAonTAP

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Buffalo, NY
If I have a recurring timer set for daily M-F, will the 522 power itself on to record the event, or do I have to leave power on for the entire week? I understand that updates won't happen until the power is turned off. So if I have to leave power on all week, then I must shut it down at night over the weekend to get updates. Is this correct? I get conflicting answers when I speak to CSR's.

It will power itself on to record the event. But it will not power itself off when done. I suggest you set up the daily auto update feature (can't remember right now where in the menu but it's not hard to find). This will cause the receiver to check for updates (guide, software) every day at a certain time, and check the hard disk among other things as well. When it's done, it will leave the receiver "off" (bouncing logo) until it's either turned on again or it turns itself on again for a timer. The default I believe is for it to occur at 3am. I moved mine to 5am to account for any extra late nights out. :)

Actually the 522 will record the timer WITHOUT turning itself on. (If you turn on TV you will still have the bouncing DISH logo.) At least that is what both of mine do.

Kevin, just curious, what mode are both of your 522s in? I'll double check what happens on mine when a DVR event timer is set to fire, but mine stays in single mode. For other event timers (auto tune, VCR reminder, etc.) the unit definitely should (and mine does) turn on but I know the topic of this thread is for DVR event timers, which I don't use very often (hard drive is too full). :)

TuxCoder, I use single mode on both. Also even when both tunners are recording only the one record indicator lights up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts