522 problems, changes channels at random etc.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

omnibus

Original poster
Sep 11, 2004
Unreal, first the channel banner pops up out of no where, then it changes channels at random. Quckly goes from one to another. Several different channels involved.

Other times the info screen pops up then changes to the opaque one, then back and all over again.

This morning it went looking for the satellite in a clear sky.

Then, unbelievably I LOST ALL OF MY RECORDED SHOWS including protected ones. :shocked

Spoke to a dish rep last week. I followed her resetting instructions including changing the remote address. She said that if problems continue to call and they will set up a hardware exchange.

I called this morning and a different rep came up with this unbelievable story that the networks were broadcasting corrupted video feeds meant to erase hard drives, what the F***

Then he refused to process a hardware exchange because the problem was different from the last time, meaning random channels different from hard drive wipe.

My threat to cancel service fell on deaf ears. I also detailed my story in an e-mail to tech support after that conversation.

You may have two separate issues here.

Has changing the remote address solved the random channel change issue?

The network "erase HDD" line is TOTAL bull, and should be reported to E*.

If things don't start going better for you, email ceo@dishnetwork.com with the whole story.

The problem went from bad to worse this afternoon. While watching, the screen reverted to snow (no signal). The 522 power light stayed on.

After about 20 seconds it went to the acquiring satellite screen with the 1 to 5 countup. When it reached 5 it paused for a couple of seconds then went back to no signal. Then cycled back to the beginning again. While on the phone with the rep we watched this cycle at least a dozen times.

We changed the remote address from 1 to 2 last week when these problems started. Today we changed the address to 3 but couldn't maintain a signal long enough to test that.

The last rep I spoke to was polite and finally agreed to a hardware swap.

Unfortunately we have no OTA signal here so I guess we'll be watching DVD's and listening to the radio for a few days.

I don't believe that the networks try to screw up DBS feeds. However, last night I had an annoying audio/video lag on ABC, and thought the 522 was up to its old tricks. Low and behold, when I checked the off the air broadcast it, too, was out of synch! I don't know if it was a network delay line glitch, or the local station was at fault, but it was there. Our local CBS affiliate has been badmouthing Dishnet, probably due to a fee dispute. As bad as major network programs have become, I'd think they would welcome preading their signals any way they can.

Long time lurker here. My normally rock solid 522 is experiencing the same weird random channel change as Omnibus. I was watching the news this morning and it all the sudden switched to some Spanish morning TV show. This is the third time it has happened. Luckily my recorded shows are still there (for now) and I'll get to watch them before it really gets crazy. I've not rebooted (or powered down) the unit in nearly 6 months, might that help? Any suggestions? If my daughter loses her "Gilmore Girls" my normally peaceful home is going to.... Oh my, I don't even want to think about that! :)

Dish recomends turn your'e rec. off every night to get new updatets. i had same problems espetaly when i installed my 522. but they disapierd now. my software is L255.

supereal said:
I don't believe that the networks try to screw up DBS feeds. However, last night I had an annoying audio/video lag on ABC, and thought the 522 was up to its old tricks. Low and behold, when I checked the off the air broadcast it, too, was out of synch! I don't know if it was a network delay line glitch, or the local station was at fault, but it was there. Our local CBS affiliate has been badmouthing Dishnet, probably due to a fee dispute. As bad as major network programs have become, I'd think they would welcome preading their signals any way they can.

We have one local channel that is like this more times then not. I thought this was the 522 issue until I went to a friends that has cable and that station does the same thing. Annoying as hell. :no

ItsDon said:
Long time lurker here. My normally rock solid 522 is experiencing the same weird random channel change as Omnibus. I was watching the news this morning and it all the sudden switched to some Spanish morning TV show. This is the third time it has happened. Luckily my recorded shows are still there (for now) and I'll get to watch them before it really gets crazy. I've not rebooted (or powered down) the unit in nearly 6 months, might that help? Any suggestions? If my daughter loses her "Gilmore Girls" my normally peaceful home is going to.... Oh my, I don't even want to think about that! :)

Don,

Since the new Dish Pro remotes have a much longer range than the old UHF remotes you likely have a neighbor that is using the same remote address as your remote.

Get out your manual and get the steps to change your remote addresses, it'll take about 20 seconds to do.

John

my 721 has started doing this, changing channels at random.

I use a logitech harmony remote, so how do i change the address on that?

crazy!

I had the same issue, and also have a harmony remote. I just called up harmony tech. support, while on-line with the remote connected, and they fixed it immediately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)