522 randomly recording on its own

road_rascal

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
South Metro, Twin Cities MN
If this problem has been posted before, sorry- I searched. Anywho, my now hardly 1 month old 522 (replaced once already) decided on getting a brain of its own and starts recording random channels. Last week it recorded 4 hours of a non subscribed PPV channel and last night it thought it would be fun to record 2 hours of programming on TBS at 4AM. What the heck?

Mine has gotten a mind of its own yesterday as well - it's recording the normal shows it's supposed to, but they're under the name "King of the Hill" on our local FOX affilliate from 5pm-5:30pm. That's what the info says on the DVR list, even though it's really something else on MTV or VH1. Odd!

Stargazer said:
That is pretty odd. Maybe someone else also has a 522 that lives close to you. Did you lock your PPV's?

All the PPV channels are locked. All that was recorded was 2 hours of the Dish logo and background music. I did a system reset this morning and I'll see if that clears it up.

I would try changing the remote code. Hopefully that will solve the problem. I have two 510's that when they were first installed they were on the same remote code. Even though they were in seperate rooms they would do strange things like what you have described. Could be a neighbor also. Good Luck.

I've had the random recording problem also - mine usually occurs on a channel that's already set to record at a different program at a different time, but not always.

And the program naming problem that Bizzach referred to is also occurring, and is extremely annoying.

Yesterday, I had 10 Blues Clues episodes recorded, ranging in length from 30 minutes to 2 1/2 hours. Upon further inspection, it was the entire list of yesterday's recordings, including a movie, all titled "Blues Clues". And there's no way to rename them, either....

I've had the program naming problem as well. Seems to happen more on Dish Pass timers, so I delete them and just use the record all episodes.

Good to know it's not just me that's having the problem! But still, what's the point of having NBR DishPass timers if you can't use them!?

I have a Dish Pass set to record Good Eats on the Food Network. Out of the approx. 20 episodes it has recorded, it has only misnamed one.

I have seen this happen on a different DVR receiver before (probably the 721), had it do some weird thing recording a channel with a logo on it acting as if it cut out of a show that it was showing. I cant remember exactly what had happened but it was strange.

I'm about ready to take a 12 gauge loaded with a rifled slug to this damn receiver. I had it set up to record two one-hour programs overnight and this first program was recorded at 39 minutes and the second one 29. Both shows are one hour long (one from 12AM-1AM and the other 2AM-3AM). One more system reset and then it's time to get Dish supervisory involvement. I'm getting sick of this.

My 522 will start flipping through channels while I'm sitting there watching a show for now reason. No recordings going on, it just starts flipping through channels.I can barely get it to stop sometimes, it will last about 2-5 min, 2-3 time a week????

road_rascal said:
I'm about ready to take a 12 gauge loaded with a rifled slug to this damn receiver. I had it set up to record two one-hour programs overnight and this first program was recorded at 39 minutes and the second one 29. Both shows are one hour long (one from 12AM-1AM and the other 2AM-3AM). One more system reset and then it's time to get Dish supervisory involvement. I'm getting sick of this.
Okay, I'm a Dish Noob, but have had PVRs for years, and I have a question. Did it really only record 39 and 29 mins, or is the display lying? I have a Replay 2020, and sometimes it tells me it only got x minutes of a show, but I decide to watch it anyway, and often it has actually recorded the entire show! If you deleted it in disgust without watching, I guess you don't know. How annoying, though. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts