522 Recording without having a timer set?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

normen

Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
Oakland, CA
Last night I noticed that my 522 was recording a show that I had not set a timer for (I didn't even know what that show was). There were a number of episodes/re-runs of the same show scheduled. :eek:
Unless someone broke into my house, set that timer, and left everything else in my house untouched (even locked the door upon leaving), there seems to be a bug in the 522 software.
Has anyone else experienced that?

I had the exact opposite happen to me last night. I could have swore I set my 522 to record something but when I checked this morning it wasn't there, not even in the past events list.
Come to think of it, when I got home last night my key didn't work the front door so I had to climb in a window. Also, all the furniture seemed to be different but it looked nicer than my old stuff so I didn't worry about it. I went out for pizza (locking the door of couse) but when I came home all my old furniture was back. I just thought it was a weird dream . . . .
:D :D :D

Seriously, I think you might have a neighbor whose UHF remote is using the same address as yours. There is a way to change the UHF remote address. Should be able to find it in the owners manual.

maximum said:
Seriously, I think you might have a neighbor whose UHF remote is using the same address as yours. There is a way to change the UHF remote address. Should be able to find it in the owners manual.

In this case I still should have a time for that show... :confused:

normen said:
In this case I still should have a time for that show... :confused:
Not if it was a "once" event. But you should be able to go to the TIMERS screen and look back in the history to see where it fired. That wouldn't tell you how it was SET however. I think you used to be aboe to see the time a timer was created a few software releases back - before Name Based Recording came out - but I can't remember for sure. I just looked at my 522 now and I couldn't find any way to locate a history of timer creations.

maximum said:
I had the exact opposite happen to me last night. I could have swore I set my 522 to record something but when I checked this morning it wasn't there, not even in the past events list.
You might have been hit by the same thing that hit me (and a few others). Your daily schedule disappears. Not the TIMERS mind you, but the SCHEDULE. So while a timer is setup correctly and a matching show is being broadcast, it is mysteriously missing from the daily schedule. It may reappear the next day, maybe not. This screwup appears to be related to nightly guide downloads. If you have something your really want to record one evening, it's best to check your daily schedule first thing when you get up in the morning, to make sure the previous night's download has not messed it up. It's not good enough to say "But it was showing up in the schedule ysterday!" You need to verify it in daily schedule ON THE DAY it is supposed to occur. This really sucks - I consider it a major bug. I've run into it a few times, as have others in this forum. It seems to be somewhat rare however, not having bubbled to the top of the "strange things the 522 does" list as of yet.

haertig said:
You might have been hit by the same thing that hit me (and a few others). Your daily schedule disappears. Not the TIMERS mind you, but the SCHEDULE. So while a timer is setup correctly and a matching show is being broadcast, it is mysteriously missing from the daily schedule. It may reappear the next day, maybe not. This screwup appears to be related to nightly guide downloads. If you have something your really want to record one evening, it's best to check your daily schedule first thing when you get up in the morning, to make sure the previous night's download has not messed it up. It's not good enough to say "But it was showing up in the schedule ysterday!" You need to verify it in daily schedule ON THE DAY it is supposed to occur. This really sucks - I consider it a major bug. I've run into it a few times, as have others in this forum. It seems to be somewhat rare however, not having bubbled to the top of the "strange things the 522 does" list as of yet.
That's not what my post was about (if you read the rest you would notice it was just a joke).
But I have seen what you describe above. It happened to me once right after the last software update. I got the message that the guide info. needed to be updated so I let it download but still didn't have all of the programs in the schedule. I had to do a reboot before they all appeared in the schedule again. Haven't seen this problem since then so I just figured it had something to do with the software update.

GUSEL bug

maximum said:
That's not what my post was about (if you read the rest you would notice it was just a joke).
Oops. Sorry. I read it as "first paragraph a true happening, second paragraph an attached joke" Ahh, the difficulties of written (vs. spoken) communication!

I just jumped in to point out that you weren't the only one seeing this problem. I'm seeing it too and I am more frustrated with it than any previous 522 problem I've run into. Hence, my becoming slightly more active on these forums after having been away for several months. There was just another thread started today (that I responded to) where some other poor soul was bitten by the "timer was set, but no daily event listed" bug.

Man, these bugs are tedious to describe textually. We need an abbreviation clearing house. We had "GOD" for the "Guide Of Death" bug, maybe we could call this one "GUSEL", "Guide Update Screws Event List"? I was wondering how we might describe "Firmware Updates Can Kill Echostar DVR's" in some tactful way... :rolleyes:

haertig said:
Man, these bugs are tedious to describe textually. We need an abbreviation clearing house. We had "GOD" for the "Guide Of Death" bug, maybe we could call this one "GUSEL", "Guide Update Screws Event List"? I was wondering how we might describe "Firmware Updates Can Kill Echostar DVR's" in some tactful way... :rolleyes:
How about "System Update Can Kill Schedule"
or "DishPass Always Makes Mistakes In Timers"

maximum said:
How about "System Update Can Kill Schedule"
or "DishPass Always Makes Mistakes In Timers"
Oh, those are much better. I think we have identified a top finalist in the acronym contest!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)