522 Remote Extender?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

centricdoug

Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Being a little new to Dish and the 522, I find it all a little prehistoric since I used to work in the medical wireless networking industry. I saw the design for the 522 antenna I can't wait to try, but also, are there any remote signal boosters for the UHF Pro remote and/or signal repeaters/boosters that can be installed in the hallway, let's say, between the two rooms to extend the range of the UHF remote? When I called Dish, the only advice they had was to buy an antenna signal booster. That didn't sound like the best solution to me. Does anyone have any other advice for how to make the UHF remote more reliable from long range?

Thanks!

You're probably referring to Cascade's RG-6 twistie antenna. Try it, you'll like it.

If that's not enough, you can try a UHF TV amplifier and/or using RG-6 to move the antenna to a better location.

If that's not enough, your house is so big that you can afford to hire me to come take care of it. ;)

centricdoug said:
Being a little new to Dish and the 522, I find it all a little prehistoric since I used to work in the medical wireless networking industry. I saw the design for the 522 antenna I can't wait to try, but also, are there any remote signal boosters for the UHF Pro remote and/or signal repeaters/boosters that can be installed in the hallway, let's say, between the two rooms to extend the range of the UHF remote? When I called Dish, the only advice they had was to buy an antenna signal booster. That didn't sound like the best solution to me. Does anyone have any other advice for how to make the UHF remote more reliable from long range?

Thanks!
Two good options:
  1. If TV2 feeds a single TV in a distant location, split the ends of the coax running from the TV2 RF output and the ant input of the TV. Put the supplied UHF wand antenna on a 6' coax and connect it to the 2nd leg at the TV side (in order to locate the wand away from the set to reduce interference). At the receiver end, connect the 2nd leg of the splitter directly to the Remote Antenna Jack with a short coax jumper.

If it is an extremely long run you may want a cheap RF amplifier at the antenna end.

2. Simply replace the supplied remote UHF wand with a Silver Sensor indoor UHF "HD" antenna (Zenith or Phillips #HD1). Rotate the "boom" 90 degrees for vertical polarity & aim in the direction of the distant TV(s).

I had a similular problem. My 508 DVR receiver is at the opposite end of my home, from my bedroom TV, and the UHF remote only worked in just a few tiny hot spots within that room. I used a spare RS UHF/VHF/FM distribution amp (15-1107), reattaching the dish remote UHF antenna to the amps TV antenna coax connector and then connecting the amp to my 508 via a few feet of RG6.

I also have a 501 PVR box 2 feet to the left of the 508. For some reason I don't have the same UHF remote signal problems with the 501. Either it's just in the right spot or maybe the 501 UHF circuits are more sentitive than my newer 508?

I have heard of someone using an outdoor antenna to transmit the remote signal although some may consider it overkill unless they are out in the country and have a garage that they would like to transmit the remote signal from as well.

What is?

SimpleSimon said:
You're probably referring to Cascade's RG-6 twistie antenna. Try it, you'll like it.

If that's not enough, you can try a UHF TV amplifier and/or using RG-6 to move the antenna to a better location.

If that's not enough, your house is so big that you can afford to hire me to come take care of it. ;)

What is the "Cascade's RG-6 twistie antenna"? Never heard of it. Any more suggestions on extending the range of this little silver antenna?

StLouG said:
What is the "Cascade's RG-6 twistie antenna"? Never heard of it. Any more suggestions on extending the range of this little silver antenna?
Search user Cascade's posts for a thread having to do with a UHF antenna.

He posted a diagram of how to take a short piece of coax cable and make it into a high-gain UHF antenna using nothing more than a pencil and a connector - which might already be attached to the cable scrap.

Actually, I just found my copy of the diagram, but no instructions. It's self-explanatory to anyone that's seen a UHF car antenna - like an old cell antenna or the like.

Attachments

• UHF antenna -satguys - Cascade.bmp
    19.6 KB · Views: 257

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts