522 responding slow after 2.51 update

road_rascal

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
South Metro, Twin Cities MN
Shortly after the new update appeared on my 522, whenever I try to change channels, bring up the guide, etc it takes about 7-10 seconds for the box to respond. It does this for both tuners. I have also noticed that while watching live TV the picture freezes for a few seconds then skips ahead. I'm also getting pixelation/ compression artifacts, and audio dropouts (same with recorded programs, but that has always happened since day 1 with both DVR's). When I called Dish Network tech support they had me go through the standard check switches, signal strength (around 91 on 119). It took forever due to the fact that the DVR took so long to respond to the remote. The lady said it's probably related to the low signal strength I'm getting and wants a tech a come out- but, I'll have to pay $99 (or sign up for the home protection plan) since it's past 90 days since I had my second 522 replaced. Anyone have any ideas? I left a message with the install company and I'm waiting to hear back from them. The system was working fine before the new software update.

Mine did the same thing after the upgrade. I rebooted the receiver by holding down the power button on the receiver for about 10 seconds. After it rebooted, all was fine. If that doesn't work, unplug the receiver for a minute then plug it back in.

I did both of those resets twice. The signal strength was around 90-100, but I'll have to check (I'm at work right now). I'll even put new batteries in the remotes, even though they're only 7 months old.

OK- Sat 110 xpdr 11 signal strength 73-74, xpdr 12 signal 71-73
Sat 119 xpdr 11 signal 90-92, xpdr 12 signal 90-91.

This seems a little worse than normal on a perfectly clear blue sky. I'm still getting picture freezes for 5-10 seconds on live TV, along with audio dropouts. I did another hard reset and that didn't help.

I called Dish back today after the receiver went through the hard drive diagnostic for the third time in 24 hours, said it wasn't hooked up to the phone line (it is and I tested the line), and failed twice to upload the programming guide. Dish is sending out a new 522. Hopefully third times a charm, and they're crediting my account a weeks worth of service so I don't have to pay the full $14.95 S/H charge. It should be here on Monday. I'm also going to try and peak the dish a bit and see if I can't get a better signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)