522 Software L4.11 Issues?

Not sure I'd call it "crap" either - you're experiencing a minor issue with the FF feature - annoying, you bet, but it doesn't make it "crap".

-John

When you consider Dish's history of software 'improvements', I'm amazed that anyone there can even walk with the amount of lead they must have in their feet.

I have never seen an organization that remained in business putting out the buggy software that seems par for the course for them. I guess testing is still a foreign concept to them.

I just checked and now have version L4.13 and things seem to have been fixed....will wait and see...they also changed some menus.

Has anyone else gotten 413?

Any solid info about it's existence?

Educated guesses about rollout plans or dates?

Confirmed 4.13 here.

The only thing I noticed is that the COUNTERS screen now has a SEND STATUS button and there is some new counter info. When selecting SEND STATUS, the 522 dials out dish and connects. (I tried it)

The counter reports that it is scheduled to send status 1/3/07 at 12:54PM. (So I forced it)

I haven't checked Dish Home to see if anything else has changed.

MENU DOD takes you to same screen as pressing DVR button once. (Same as 622)

TV Entertainment is empty.

I have never seen an organization that remained in business putting out the buggy software that seems par for the course for them. I guess testing is still a foreign concept to them.

Um, ever hear of a company called Microsoft? :D

We got 413 a few days ago. DOD menu was added.

Sun night we had a problem where the video was grayscale and we had no audio. We've had problems with our TV so I assumed it was that but... when I checked it on another TV on the same TV2 output (RF vs. composite) it was the same B&W & no audio.

It cleared up a few minutes later, even though I didn't do anything.
I don't know if this has anything to do with 413, but I wanted to report it here in case anyone else sees this.

I checked last night and I still have R412. I called support and they said that they knew nothing of a R413 code release. Unbelieavable.

4.13 has the new pip if it was not mentioned

be sure to hit the swap button and of course single mode is required

the 15:13, sticking, audio, etc seems corrected or back to the old 2.xx reliability i was used to. RW still seems iffy to me but its 4 am so it could be me half asleep

Have been having the same problem with my 522 as well. I will check the software revision tonight when I get home. But last night (durning MNF) I lost my connection all together! Ran through the tests, and it failed to connect to 119 or 110! Called Dish (talked to the Philipinnes) last night and they ran me through the tests, and still failed. So I checked all of the connections and eveything was good, no weather issues to speak or any obstructions. I have had Dish for 2 years now and have never had any issues, but now they are saying that they want to charge me $99 to have a service tech come out and check things out. What is up with the $99 charge?? I have been paying for Dish (like the rest of us) at $100 + every month. I don't see why I am being charged for something that I didn't do.

The wife called tech support this morning and got an extremely rude person who told her that if she (my wife) was not satisfied with the service that Dish was providing, then there were plenty other companies to choose from. And this was supposedly the manager!! What is going on with Dish lately?

I know I have been off of the boards for a while (and that is my fault), but if anyone has some insight here that would be really helpful. Just for a point of reference I am in Rocklin, CA close to Sacramento, CA.

Have been having the same problem with my 522 as well. I will check the software revision tonight when I get home. But last night (durning MNF) I lost my connection all together! Ran through the tests, and it failed to connect to 119 or 110! Called Dish (talked to the Philipinnes) last night and they ran me through the tests, and still failed. So I checked all of the connections and eveything was good, no weather issues to speak or any obstructions. I have had Dish for 2 years now and have never had any issues, but now they are saying that they want to charge me $99 to have a service tech come out and check things out. What is up with the $99 charge?? I have been paying for Dish (like the rest of us) at $100 + every month. I don't see why I am being charged for something that I didn't do.

The wife called tech support this morning and got an extremely rude person who told her that if she (my wife) was not satisfied with the service that Dish was providing, then there were plenty other companies to choose from. And this was supposedly the manager!! What is going on with Dish lately?

I know I have been off of the boards for a while (and that is my fault), but if anyone has some insight here that would be really helpful. Just for a point of reference I am in Rocklin, CA close to Sacramento, CA.

I just had my receiver replaced by Dish for it failed. If you know it's your receiver you should only pay $15 shipping as I did to replace the receiver. The receiver arrived in two days by UPS air. If you do need a tech to come out as I once did for I lost all channels on both receivers purchase the Dish home protection plan for $5 and the service call will be $30. They don't come out for free. After you have the tech complete his work wait a month and cancel the protection plan as I did. If I ever need it again i'll repurchase the plan.

As for someone being rude that i've never had. Perhaps you should write to ceo@echostar.com to complain about how you were treated. I wouldn't want to leave Dish just because of one rotten apple. I enjoy their service and product as I hope you do.

Ron

Thank you for the information ronfelder! I appreciate the quick response. I knew there was a reason that I came back to the boards. In addition, my 522 is able to play my recorded shows/movies, but will not get a response from the 119 or 110 sat's as indicated before.

As for the email, I was thinking of that. I am generally happy with the service that Dish provides and would like to upgrade to a VIP 622 as well.

Thanks again for the help,
Stu

Thank you for the information ronfelder! I appreciate the quick response. I knew there was a reason that I came back to the boards. In addition, my 522 is able to play my recorded shows/movies, but will not get a response from the 119 or 110 sat's as indicated before.

As for the email, I was thinking of that. I am generally happy with the service that Dish provides and would like to upgrade to a VIP 622 as well.

Thanks again for the help,
Stu

If you aren't seeing anything in the setup screen that shows signal strength it sounds like the LNB went south. That's what happened to me as I previously stated. Do you have signal on any other receiver? Like I said if you think you need a trouble call tell them you want the protection the same time you ask for an appointment. The dish protection plan is the only insurance that i know you can get with a pre existing condition. When I told them the following month I was cancelling it he said what if you need it again? I told him then i'd get it again. He said nothing in reply to that comment.

Post on the board how you make out i'd like to hear what happens.

Ron

Last edited:
Yeah I am sure that it is the LNB as well. I just get the trying to aquire satellite screen over and over. I called them myself, and talked to a lovely operator who changed my appointment that the wife had made to Saturday. She also added in the notes for the service tech to bring along another 522 or 625 just in case. So far so good, but I will keep you posted on what happens. It would suck if I could not watch some TV over the holidays, plus I have family coming into town! Oh well now we play the waiting game.

Stu

Yeah I am sure that it is the LNB as well. I just get the trying to aquire satellite screen over and over. I called them myself, and talked to a lovely operator who changed my appointment that the wife had made to Saturday. She also added in the notes for the service tech to bring along another 522 or 625 just in case. So far so good, but I will keep you posted on what happens. It would suck if I could not watch some TV over the holidays, plus I have family coming into town! Oh well now we play the waiting game.

Stu

Do did you add the protection plan? For if they told you it would cost $99 that's without the plan. They'll bring a 522. I asked for a 625 for i thought it might be more reliable than the 522 for i've gone through a few of them. They told me they replace with what you have. So you'd get a 522.

I lost lots of movies that both times when my 522 failed. First time the hard drive crashed, the second time the unit just stopped responding no matter what you did. I didn't get upset about loosing the movies for as we know cable channels will eventually repeat the shows that you lost.

Hopefully it's a simple replacement of the LNB for you.

Good luck. Hear from you soon.

Ron

Good Morning ronfelder,

Well the Dish rep came out Saturday morning (8am - noon) at 5 min to noon. No ladder to get on the roof, and very poorly dressed. But the good news was that he replaced the barrel connectors, and the diplexor inside and everything is back in working order. No new receiever needed, which is good cause I would have lost about 55 hours of content that I have not watched yet. Thanks for your help....oh I almost forgot...NO CHARGE for the call!!! Yup Merry Christmas from Dish I guess. Now I need to figure out how to get a 622 out of them for less than the $200 they are currently charging.

Have a great new year,
Stu

Good Morning ronfelder,

Well the Dish rep came out Saturday morning (8am - noon) at 5 min to noon. No ladder to get on the roof, and very poorly dressed. But the good news was that he replaced the barrel connectors, and the diplexor inside and everything is back in working order. No new receiever needed, which is good cause I would have lost about 55 hours of content that I have not watched yet. Thanks for your help....oh I almost forgot...NO CHARGE for the call!!! Yup Merry Christmas from Dish I guess. Now I need to figure out how to get a 622 out of them for less than the $200 they are currently charging.

Have a great new year,
Stu

Glad to hear that you got your problem resolved and didn't have to replace your receiver. Goes to show you the CSR didn't know what he or she was talking about. When you say diplexor do you mean the seperator that is at the back of the 522? I've had bad barrel connectors. i have my setup since feb '00 and when they installed my 522 I had problems on one of the two tuners until they replaced some bad connectors.

good luck on getting your 622, and a Happy New Year to you too. Thanks for replying and letting me know what happened.

Oh yes how did he get ont he roof without a ladder? Or did he not ned to go up on the roof.
Ron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)