522 Software L4.11 Issues?

4.12 seems marginally better on my 522. As other posters have reported, ff is a lot more reliable but "jerkier". I feel lucky that I have not experienced the lock-ups or missed timers. Having said that, my box will probably skip recordings tonight and burst into flames while I'm sleeping, so I'm sure I'll be back on here tomorrow.

Re: 4.12

Well I just got the replacement refurbished (Re-suck) 522 DVR. worked great until it was forced to download the 4.12 update. Previously it was on 2.98. Now I get the sporadic skipping, lag, and lockups again.

DISH is going to lose a lot of customers through this.

Just curious, is the 625 having the same issues? I havn't heard anyone with a 625 with these issues, but I keep also hearing that the 522 and 625 are identical.
I may keep having Dish replace DVRs until they get me a 625.

Dropped Dish... 522 problem was the final blow...

Well the replacement 522 Dish sent also started locking up just like my original. The Dish phone techies could not help with the system, so they had a technician make a visit. Poor fella worked with the unit for several hours before conceding that the replacement unit was also hosed.

I have Insight installing their cable boxes on Saturday. I am getting three HD capable DVR's and will finally be able to receive the Indianapolis HD locals I have been waiting for form Dish. Insight is running a promotion with free Showtime and Encore for the year, discounting the first months service, and waiving the installation fee.

I will miss the ability of being able to watch programming in any room via TV2 on the 522, but the fact that I do not have to put out additional money or commitment to upgrade the equipment required to receive HD locals (which I want more than the other HD programming), and not having to deal with angry family members frustrated with locked up equipment is worth it to me. Good bye to Dish after 3+ years, and I hope Insight has improved somewhat in that time.

I have had my new "Refurb" 522 for about a week, and when it arrived I had the 2.98 software, but it downloaded the 4.12 per requirement upon hooking it up. It didn't seem to work any worse at first, but as the week has gone on its been getting consistently worse, almost like its degrading in performance over time.

I wonder if there is some sort of 'memory leak' going on in the 4.12 firmware?

My 522 is working much better since the 4.12 download, but, not as good prior to the 4.11 download. On some recorded shows, when I start playback for the first time the show will start some place into the show ,like as if I had already started watching and then stopped,then resumed playback, weird, I just stop playback then start playback from the beginning and allis well. Doesn't happen all the time. Jump forward seems to jump much farther into the show then it did before, and jerky fast forwarding.:(

This happens now everytime I resume or start a show. The 625 is rock solid but the 522 is now turing into junk by the minute.

Let's go 4.13 update.

OK folks I think this is a certified "outbreak" of crazy 522s.

In addition to the reports in this thread SEVEN of us have reported the same issues in other threads. In additon 2 of us had TWO 522s go nuts a piece. That's NINE crazies in the last two weeks plus the 5 or 6 here.

Can this thread be merged with the following threads?

522 Instability/Crashing/Reboots
522/625 Lockup Issues Last Night and Today?
Drv 522 Just shutting off

Has anyone seen anything anywhere that E* is aware of this?

Steve

I just realized that this isn't in the Technical Discussion forum though I don't know why it didn't get moved.

Anyway the threads I mentioned about the 9 crazy 522s are there.

But I realize that isn't much compared to your thread of 50 or 60.

I too am effected:(

Does the 625 have the problem?

If one changed a 522 to a 625 by installing a larger hard drive woul this insanity go away? One 522 of mine has a replaced hard drive. I bought it off e bay it arrived with NO hard drive so I am willing to mess with it a little.........

I too am effected:(

Does the 625 have the problem?

If one changed a 522 to a 625 by installing a larger hard drive woul this insanity go away? One 522 of mine has a replaced hard drive. I bought it off e bay it arrived with NO hard drive so I am willing to mess with it a little.........

My 625 is fine, while my 522 is not.

One of the new 'features' of this version is that when the DVR decides to start a show somewhere in the middle, there is always 13:15 left in the show. It doesn't matter how long the recording is.

When I stop the show and restart it from the beginning, it shows the correct amount of time left.

One of the new 'features' of this version is that when the DVR decides to start a show somewhere in the middle, there is always 13:15 left in the show. It doesn't matter how long the recording is.

When I stop the show and restart it from the beginning, it shows the correct amount of time left.

One work around I found for this is; If you start a show and you are stuck with a blank screen:

1- Pause it
2- Press the regular rewind button for about 3 seconds ( a few frames of the show should zoom by).
3- Pause again

From there the show should be back to it's starting point or it's resume point.

Sadly the 522 started out like crap, became rock solid, then turned to crap again. Once it stopped carrying the same softwate update as the 625 it was all over.

Sadly the 522 started out like crap, became rock solid, then turned to crap again. Once it stopped carrying the same softwate update as the 625 it was all over.

I don't know if I'd say the 522 was ever "rock solid" but it did have a phase when it's problems were minimal. I just wish DISH would learn to fully test their new software before deploying it.

I just checked and now have version L4.13 and things seem to have been fixed....will wait and see...they also changed some menus.

522 - Latest w DishOn Demand - bug fixes

Saw no mention of the 522 software version that I have that has the Dish OnDemand screen when you press the DVR button once (press again to go to My Recordings). Not sure my version, will check tonight after I come back from the Nuggets game at Pepsi Center...

Not sure what version this is, but seems I'm the only one who has it?

None of the OnDemand stuff really works yet except for a button that takes you to one of those interactive pages where some movies are listed. Looks like Dish is starting to gear up to compete against Comcast for the OnDemand stuff...good job!

Anyways,

I did have the FF issue that temporarily locks - I could get out of it by hitting FF a few times more, or stop, get out, and resume playback. However, whatever the latest software was - it fixed it.

My "super" FF function like the x300 works again as well.

There also seems to be better interaction between the FF and the audio/video sync - the operation looks "softer" - can't put my finger on it, but that what it seems...

Audio pause/skip I think is built in since the 522 has never really fixed 100% video/audio instant start sync. I think the "fix" for the original sync issue was to pause the audio while the video played for a second after a FF or resume, and then sync in the audio once an audio buffer loaded. Whatever....seems to work. My guess is that it has something to do with the Dolby Digital processing chip not syncing to the video processing chip.

In my opinion, the MAJOR issues that some of you are talking about are NOT NORMAL 522 OPERATION, like the 1 minute pause for the guide, etc...you should convince Dish to replace those DVRs or somehow force a disk check as mentioned before. Those seem to be more of a hardware issue not related to the software upgrades.

Also, I seem to have more minor issues (pausing, temp lockups, etc) the fuller my recordings make the DVR. Deleting them back down to a 80% full or less ratio seems to have worked wonders. You should take note.

If you have an issue, call Dish, it's the only way you're going to make a difference in getting something fixed, the developers need to know what you are experiencing and prioritize fixes based upon number of customer's affected. Plain and simple development 101.

And those switching to other systems? My mother-in-law has Direc...Have you ever used a direc remote control? Have you seen their "favorites" schemes? Geez....at least Dish has a clue on usability...Dish may not be 100% but the other companies look to be running at 50% or less in features/functionality...I can't tell you how much I abhor using a Direc remote control...

Think about it.

-John

I don't know if I'd say the 522 was ever "rock solid" but it did have a phase when it's problems were minimal. I just wish DISH would learn to fully test their new software before deploying it.

Not sure I'd call it "crap" either - you're experiencing a minor issue with the FF feature - annoying, you bet, but it doesn't make it "crap".

-John

The "13:15 always left on the timer" issue seems to be fixed with the version that I have that added the OnDemand screen when the DVR button is pushed.

I had seen that issue a few weeks ago, and it seems to have disappeared in the last few releases (the buggy one that added the FF issue and the newest one that fixed a lot of things and added the OnDemand screen).

-John

One 522 that we have is still rebooting once or twice a day while the other one is working just fine since the day I got it. I think one fo the 522's is a different version than the other one because one got the episode # and year made software before the other one did.

Saw no mention of the 522 software version that I have that has the Dish OnDemand screen when you press the DVR button once (press again to go to My Recordings). Not sure my version, will check tonight after I come back from the Nuggets game at Pepsi Center...

Not sure what version this is, but seems I'm the only one who has it?

None of the OnDemand stuff really works yet except for a button that takes you to one of those interactive pages where some movies are listed. Looks like Dish is starting to gear up to compete against Comcast for the OnDemand stuff...good job!

-John

which version software do you have? I checked and I still don't have VOD. I have version 4.12.

Ron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts