522 Software L4.11 Issues?

Thanks for posting this message. I started seeing the exact issues you describe. I'm a hardware / software kinda guy so automatically assumed it was probably a hard drive problem but then saw your post and another web site showing the recent software upgrade and the light bulb went on. In a way, I'm kind of glad it's a software bug because that means my 522's hard drive isn't failing. Hopefully a future software upgrade will correct the problems. Does anyone know any tricks on how to communicate between a PC and the 522 via it's USB port? I aslo noticed a "H/W Tests" button in the diagnostics menu but it's unselectable. Does anyone know how to access that button?

I'm seeing the problem, too. I just thought it was another bad 522 (I'm on my 4th unit!). Though I could do without the bugs, the new feature showing episode information on the Info screen is kind of nice!

I still have 411 and I first thought that since this was the only 522 that got the weather interactive was why it was the only 522 experiencing the DVR problems to my knowledge (I do not use the other one hardly at all and was not told about anything about it yet). I noticed that the Episode # and Year feature came out on this particular one later than the other 522. I figured the interactive weather would most likely would not have caused the issue but why would the Episode # and Year feature have anything to do with the DVR functionality?

I experienced many of these issues on my ViP622 a few software revs back, hopefully you 522 users get the bugfixes soon.

I think Dish Network will fix it soon because this would have to be one of their priorities or they will start to lose some subscribers.

Update coming?

I haven't read this entire thread, but...

I just got of the phone with DishNetwork complaining about this issue when I decided to look online and found this forum.

The Dish tech told me that this is a recognized issue and the engineers have a 2 week window to address the problem which ends Fri Nov 17th. He said to call back on Sat to see if there is any update.

So... it sounds like they are working on it and we might have a fix this weekend. But I am not going to hold my breath.:)

We have had a 522 for over 2 years. We had it replaced once more than a year ago after losing all of our recorded rpograms twice. Since then we haven't lost everything again. I put it on a UPS (Battery backup) which I think is a wise plan for any complicated electronics (computer, DVR, HDTV, etc).

We have had issues with the fast forward/rewind thing occassionally, but it has gotten worse lately. Probably when 4.11 came out (I don't pay attention to the software rev on a regular basis.)

Stay posted and lets hope they have a fix soon.

When you say a hard reboot solves the problems temporarily how long is that? This dang bug is the worst I can remember and it is so bad I cannot hardly watch a show because the DVR functions are crap, starts it back over every dang time on some shows. Its driving me NUTS! GET IT FIXED DISH!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the worst I ever remember. Did somebody say Dishplayer? I will reboot the dang thing every day if thats what it takes to get me a bug free receiver for the night. At least the 721 is working right. They better get this fixed quick. I do not want to hear customer complaints. Its a wonder I havent heard them already. This is just crazy. Did Dish Network forget to test their software this time before releasing it?

I wish they could at least roll back the version. Give me the version before all these troubles....

Brad

I finally received the L4.12 update overnight. Here are some initial impressions based on about 15 minutes of messing around this morning with several recorded shows:

The problems with FF/REW/Skip appear to have been resolved, for the most part:

- 300x FF/REW is 300x again
- the audio resync problem after a Skip appears to be gone
- so far I've not noticed the audio beep/pixelation bug
- quickly Skipping repeatedly doesn't freeze the recording or send you back to the beginning

I have noticed that if I skip forward repeatedly VERY quickly, the machine suddenly indicates that I've reached the end of the recording and takes me back to the PVR screen, where there exists a shiny new "Live TV" button :D

I'll get more time to play with it later tonight, but at first glance the fixes appear to be successful. Has anyone else who's received L4.12 seen different results on their machine?

L4.12 was installing as I turned my 522 on last night at 11:24pm PST. Once it was done, it needed to re-download the program menu as well, and then it came up fine.

They seem to have fixed the major problems so far, but since it was late, I didn't have much time to play with it.

The SKIP AHEAD button is the most used DVR Function and I press it repeatedly to skip commercials because I find it to be the quickest way to get past the commercials. I am not used to fast forwarding then once I see the show start pressing the skip back button to compensate for going too far.

I am still at 4.11 and I have not experienced the issue yet tonight although I have not played back that many shows. Sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't. I do not understand why that would be. It seems to affect certain recordings if I am not mistaken.

Another batch for tomorrow!

11/14/2006: 1100 Software Version L4.12 for DVR 522

Effective Wednesday, November 15th, Engineering plans to spool a PARTIAL PHASE of software version L4.12 for the DVR 522 receiver. This is primarily a non-forced maintenance release available at ALL satellite locations.
At this time L4.11 and L4.12 will be the valid software versions for the DVR 522.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts