522 Software Update due this Month

Steve Mackay

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2004
I have software version L165GALD-N and was told last night that version 166 (I persume) should be out later this month.

Apparently it will fix the known problem I phoned tech support about last night. Basically I went away for the long weekend and found that none of the 5 or 6 timers that I've had set for the last 12 weeks recorded. Apparently the 522 gets screwed up and forgets the timers after a period of time even although it looks like you have the timers still active.

I had to do a hard reset and delete all my timers then set them all again.

I'm hoping that I can finally be sure that when I tell my 522 to record something it actually will. Damn, my VCR is more reliable than this even with the human interaction of having to remember to change tapes!

They need to get their sh*t together. I don't think they realize how frustrating it is as a customer not knowing if "The last show in the season" will record or not!

I hope to god software version 166 will fix all :rolleyes:

Steve

How does the exact same piece of hardware (assuming no production/manufacturing changes) with the same software behave so differently ?? To my knowledge, I've never had this happen to me (timers fail to kick in and record events).

As for what support told you, I'll ya' that's ALWAYS their answer !! "The next software release will fix that". :)

If that was happening to me I would probably throw it clean out the window. That has never happened to me and recording is definitely a high point for me. I have had stuff scheduled to record for a week and had no problems. Perhaps you should trade in that receiver and get a new one.

hall said:
...As for what support told you, I'll ya' that's ALWAYS their answer !! "The next software release will fix that". :)
Well at least (some of) the CSRs are learning that these boxes have software in them. It used to be, no matter what the problem, they'd RMA the things. That had to be costing E* big money.

Anyone know which bugs are (supposed to be) fixed in new code drop?

I'd love to hear the list of bugs which will be fixed in the next release. I've had my 522 for 3 weeks and am extremely disappointed in the reliability of the software. Specifically:

1. Dolby Digital playback via optical output is effectively useless due to frequent dropouts (5 seconds or so every couple of minutes).
2. Poor/variable lip sync in DVR DD playback via optical output.
3. Unit gets into a state about twice a week where video in live TV mode is permanently blanked. Hard reset (hold Power button for 4 seconds then wait a couple of minutes) or Point Dish/Check Switch cycle is required to kick the box back into action.
4. Occasionally "forgets" to record something even though the timer seems fine.

I'm about to call Dish and complain but would like to know if I can expect a fix to any of these soon before I do.

TIA,

Dave Wilson

dave_wilson said:
3. Unit gets into a state about twice a week where video in live TV mode is permanently blanked. Hard reset (hold Power button for 4 seconds then wait a couple of minutes) or Point Dish/Check Switch cycle is required to kick the box back into action.

Dave Wilson
Just for clarity in the future, holding the Power Button is known as a "Soft", "Front Panel", or "Power Button" "Reset" or "Reboot".

Pulling the Power Cord out of the wall (and wrapping around the neck of the closest E* engineer :D) is known as a "Hard Reboot".

You know that Patrick on The Screen Savers has actually done a hard reboot with a sledge hammer. Hmm not a bad idea. :D

stratguy said:
You know that Patrick on The Screen Savers has actually done a hard reboot with a sledge hammer. Hmm not a bad idea. :D
Yeah - I've seen it. Someone on here or DBSTalk has an avatar like that, too.

hall said:
How does the exact same piece of hardware (assuming no production/manufacturing changes) with the same software behave so differently ?? To my knowledge, I've never had this happen to me (timers fail to kick in and record events).

I ask myself this every day. We order 100 computers from dell that are completely identical in every way, same image on all, but some will behave differently. For one thing, hard drives are a weak link in the identical hardware theory... Data corruption is about as unpredictable as the pattern of a snowflake. Just l bit flopped out of place in just the right spot, and strange things can happen..

Actually, even though Dish may "spec" certain components, those themselves can surely vary between batches and manufacturers.

The only thing different I've seen is that it shows the Dish screen saver when you turn off the tuner.
I just hope it fixes whatever causes you to have to reboot all the time.

maximum said:
The only thing different I've seen is that it shows the Dish screen saver when you turn off the tuner.
I just hope it fixes whatever causes you to have to reboot all the time.
So far today mine has been much slower aquiring a picture or just sits there with a black screen after the view banner times out.

I'm not positive, but I am pretty sure I have not had any sound hiccups when watching recorded shows since the last update.

Sapient said:
I'm not positive, but I am pretty sure I have not had any sound hiccups when watching recorded shows since the last update.
Don't hold me to it either, but I haven't noticed this either....

Sapient said:
What kind of sound hiccups? I still have the problem where the sound dissappears after pausing (sometimes) but it returns when you do a "skip back"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)