522 suddenly overheating

WakeBdr

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Cumming, GA
Every day since Sunday, my 522 has overheated. It suddenly stops showing what I'm watching and displays a warning message that contains the current temperature of the unit. Once I power cycle the unit, it seems to be fine again. Has anyone had this problem and had to replace the unit? I ask the question that way because nothing in my 522's environment has changed. It is in a stereo cabinet, but it has been there since it was installed. Last night, out of sheer frustration, I put my 522 on 4 wooden blocks about 2" thick to provide more air underneath the unit. I hope that alleviates the problem, but I'm not too optimistic.

If it has been in a stereo cabinet the fan has probably been running since you got it and simply has failed. You should be leasing the 522 so just get a reman from DISH it might cost $15 for shipping.

The wood blocks may have helped. It didn't overheat yesterday, but I was gone most of the day when I would normally be watching. We'll see what happens today and tomorrow.

Just curious, what is the normal operating temp of the unit. I have checked the diagnostics daily since I installed mine. The average temp has been from 70 to 90.

That overheating is not what you think. You have probably unknowingly signed up for the E* "Hot Dog and a Movie" special. They should have sent you the hot dogs. You're supposed to heat them on the 522. Obviously they sent the "Heat" signal to the 522. Are you sure you haven't gotten any dogs in the mail?

See www.dishnetwork.com/hotdogspecial for more information.

Its was great deal! You get two dogs and two buns as well as a liter of Coke and a PPV movie of your choice for only $5.99. It expired April 1. :D :D :D

JohnP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)