522 & Tivo

shave

Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
Dumb question.. I have 2 522's scheduled for install this weekend, currently I have an older Tivo with lifetime sub on it.. will I be able to use the standalone Tivo with my 522 without too many hassles with the dual tuners?

Thanks..

I think you'll be fine. I have Tivo connected to a 6000 and also a 510 hooked up to the same tv. Just run one line to Tivo and the other direct to the tv. That's what I did.

shave said:
Dumb question.. I have 2 522's scheduled for install this weekend, currently I have an older Tivo with lifetime sub on it.. will I be able to use the standalone Tivo with my 522 without too many hassles with the dual tuners?

Thanks..

Did you get two 522's installed? I thought I was going to get two installed today and even specifically asked the sales rep if I can get two seperate 922 receivers. She said yes, but the installers showed up with only one. I called dish and they said you could only have one. I went to the next level of command with the same results. I talked to another person in their accounting department and still got the same results. I was all pumped for 2 922's - talk about being disappointed!

Subwoofer said:
Did you get two 522's installed? I thought I was going to get two installed today and even specifically asked the sales rep if I can get two seperate 922 receivers. She said yes, but the installers showed up with only one. I called dish and they said you could only have one. I went to the next level of command with the same results. I talked to another person in their accounting department and still got the same results. I was all pumped for 2 922's - talk about being disappointed!

You could have one 322 and one 522. Not sure if that helps.

Does anyone have 2 522's hooked up? Is it possible to get one 522 as a new customer with Digital Home Advantage and activate a second 522 that was bought privately?

My install was pushed to the 27th to get the dish that can do local channels, but they tell me I am getting 2 522's(for 4 TV's)... will see.........

shave said:
My install was pushed to the 27th to get the dish that can do local channels, but they tell me I am getting 2 522's(for 4 TV's)... will see.........

And...did you get the 2 522's on the 27th?

Same deal.... installer showed up with a work order for 1 522, had to work with customer service, finally wound up getting 1 522 and 1 322(and the 322 only has 1 working output, they are bringing a replacement this week)...

For those that care, got the Tivo working off of the 522 with no problem using the IR transmitter that came with the Tivo to control the 522..

shave said:
Same deal.... installer showed up with a work order for 1 522, had to work with customer service, finally wound up getting 1 522 and 1 322(and the 322 only has 1 working output, they are bringing a replacement this week)...

For those that care, got the Tivo working off of the 522 with no problem using the IR transmitter that came with the Tivo to control the 522..

Just out of curiosity, why did you get a 522 if you already have a tivo? Isn't it kind of odd to have a pvr hooked up to a pvr?

It's good to hear that the tivo is working well with the 522 though. I'm getting a 2 322 setup installed pretty soon, and I plan to hook my sa tivo up to a 322.

Wanted the DVR for secondary TV just because.. the Tivo interface is 100% better than the Dish dvr.. after about 1/2 hour with the dish one I realized I wanted the tivo as the primary, but I can live with the Dish dvr just for secondary recording, etc.

Have a homebuilt Myth PC with 2 tuners hooked up to the 322 for my home theater stuff. Just ran into an issue this this morning though with the Tivo and the 522(appears the 322 is going to have the same issue), the 522 does it 3am dialout, and puts up the "press select to continue screen saver. Appears the work around is to set the 522 for a quick 4am recording just to ensure it is awake until maybe a new software release changes this behavior..

PCI Satellite Decoders

I'd like to build a MythTV box, but I've been hesitant to because I wanted to know if there were any video capture cards that would work with the Dish satellites in the US.

Huappauge offers a few European Satellite Decoder PCI cards but I really don't know what I need or if they would work. Does anybody else have experience with Satellite tuner cards?

I just realized that any PCI solution would need to incorporate a descrambler to acces non-free-to-air channels so... nevermind. Do any of the Dish receivers NOT DISPLAY the channel information when switching? I have a 510 and am unable to suppress it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)